Subject: 31 May, 2009
----- WYSIWYG NEWS ------------------------------
Copyright, Brian Harmer.

Somehow, the week seems to have lasted much longer than the
seven days which defined it on the calendar. Mostly wet and
windy weather didn't help, despite a weak solution of
diluted sunshine and near calm on Friday. This Monday is a
public holiday (the date for the official observance of the
Queen's Birthday, which is actually 21 April), so the sense
of anticipation of a long weekend added to the enjoyment of
the day. For the first time in almost two weeks I was able
to fit a good walk in at lunchtime, and on that front, all
was well.

My afternoon was scheduled to conclude with supervisory
sessions with two research students down at Rutherford House
near the railway station. Mary and I had tickets to an early
evening concert with the New Zealand Symphony Orchestra
playing at the old Town Hall concert chamber. We are not
late eaters, so we wanted a quick meal before the concert.
Trying to fit everything in between the last appointment and
the start of the programme was problematic. Mary decided it
would be practical for her to come into town on the Airport
Flyer bus, and since that stops literally outside the window
of the office I use on Fridays, I could meet her there and
we could find a quick bite and walk up to the Town Hall.

And so it came to pass. We settled on "Sakura", a very nice
Japanese restaurant on Featherston St. Other possibilities
had included a cluster of pubs, restaurants and wine bars in
the same area, but at 5 pm at the end of the working week,
they were all abuzz with the "thank God it's Friday" crowd,
all elbowing up to the bar and jostling and loud. Sakura, by
contrast, is a positive haven of tranquillity. Beautiful
elegant simple Japanese décor, formalised courtesy of a kind
rarely experienced elsewhere, and soft string music playing
in the background. We explained our need for speed, and
though it was outside the normal pattern for their
restaurant, they provided some appropriate options. A
pleasant glass of wine as we waited added to our enjoyment
and helped us to break out of the slightly rushed mindset.
The food was beautifully presented by young ladies in
wonderful kimonos. The presence of Japanese clients at other
tables gave some reassurance of authenticity. And so we ate,
paid, and moved on. (Note to self: must revisit without
doing so under pressure next time.) Darkness had fallen, and
in this early part of winter, the temperature was dropping
rapidly, so we had a brisk walk up Featherston St., past the
lighted bars which were by now really humming. At the top we
turned onto Lambton Quay, and Willis St, through the
refurbished Chews Lane precinct where more bars and
restaurants were in action, onto Victoria St, and through
Civic Square to the Town Hall.

Acoustically, the concert chamber in the old Town Hall is
said to be superior to the newer Michael Fowler Centre, but
the sightlines are much less useful. There are very few
seats in the MFC that don't afford a view of the entire
stage. The concert chamber's angles, on the other hand, tend
to let you see the front row of the orchestra if you are in
the stalls, or if you are on the left or right of the
balcony, you get to see one half or the other, of the
orchestra. To get the full impact, the best seats seemed to
be those in the centre of the balcony. The concert was not
fully sold out, though nearly so, and the audience was
younger, and more diverse, and much less formally dressed
than I usually see at NZSO concerts.

This particular concert was sponsored in part by Victoria
University (not that they told us anything about it at work,
or offered any special deals), and fittingly for the end of
"New Zealand Music Month" was a programme consisting
entirely of works by New Zealand Composers, all of whom had
studied or worked at Victoria University. I note that my
friend and long time WYSIWYG reader and sponsor, Charles
Eggen would have enjoyed this concert, containing as it did,
two works by Douglas Lilburn, and one by Jack Body. If
memory serves, Charles actually met Douglas Lilburn during a
visit he made to NZ in the early 90s.

The first work was Lilburn's "Landfall in Unknown Seas".
This is a lovely piece designed to frame Alan Curnow's poem
of the same name. The subject matter is Tasman's arrival and
disastrous first contact with Maori in Golden bay. In a
stroke of casting genius, the concert organizers engaged
Bill Manhire to read the poetry. Bill is a treasure, the
founder and organiser of Victoria's celebrated creative
writing course, and a gifted poet and writer in his own
right. As you would expect, his delivery was magnificent, as
was the orchestra's performance, and the reward was a
suitably enthusiastic acclamation.

The next piece was by Lissa Meridan, and was entitled "A
quiet Fury for Orchestra and Live Electronics". As something
of a traditionalist, with a fondness for what young folks
rudely describe as the music of "dead white guys", I have
mixed feelings about electro acoustic music. However, I
enjoyed this piece, despite the oddities of the sounds used
to make the music. This was very well received by the young
fellows in the row ahead of us, who came dressed in hoodies,
and carrying their skateboards!

After the interval, Lilburn was reintroduced. This time it
was "Three Poems of the Sea" and in this work, the music was
played as the poet recited the poems over it. "Sir Patrick
Spens" (trad), Ariels Song (Shakespeare), and "A Changeling"
(Curnow) were the poems. It seems to me a difficult thing to
recite poetry in time with the playing of an orchestra, yet
it was done flawlessly by Professor Manhire. Just wonderful
stuff. The final item in the formal program was Jack Body's
"My Name is Mok Bhon" which reflects upon a photographic
exhibition from one of the notorious prisons of the
murderous Pol Pot regime in Cambodia. Hard to imagine that
musical beauty can emerge from such a sombre theme, yet it
did, along with the haunting images of the murdered victims
of the camp.

There followed a discussion between the conductor and one or
other of the electro acoustic   experts present, and
having no special interest in talking about such things (as
opposed to listening to the music) we left. A brisk walk
through the now very chilly evening along Jervois Quay and
back to the car parked at the law school brought the evening
to a satisfactory conclusion. All in all, it was a pleasant
outing. I am certain Charles would have enjoyed it.

A brief note to mourn the passing of a former colleague of
mine - Alvin Clement (Lt.Col. ret) who died last week at the
relatively young age of 66. Alvin served this country with
distinction as a soldier in West Malaysia, Borneo and
Vietnam, and later went on to become one of the first
graduates of Otago University's MBA program. I worked with
Alvin for some years at the New Zealand Dairy Board where he
encouraged me to pursue my own MBA, albeit with some good
natured teasing as to the relative merits of our respective
universities. Alvin leaves a daughter and two sons to whom I
extend my sympathy.

See you next week.
----
Any text above this point, and all subsequent material in
parentheses, and concluded with the initials "BH" is the
personal opinion of Brian Harmer as editor of this
newsletter, or occasionally "GS" will indicate an opinion
from our editorial assistant. In all cases they are honest
expressions of personal opinion, and are not presented as
fact.

All news items (except where noted otherwise) are reproduced
by kind permission of copyright owner, Newstalk ZB News. All
copyright in the news items reproduced remains the property
of The Radio Network Limited.

*Sponsorship this week is courtesy of Noel Vietmeyer in
Lorton, VA. Many thanks, Noel.
----
On with the News.

Monday, 25 May 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"SMALL SURPRISES" IN BUDGET - JOHN KEY
--------------------------------------

Prime Minister John Key says the country can expect small
surprises in this week's Budget. The Government is due to
outline its fiscal plans on Thursday. Future deficits and
the possibility of a credit downgrade remain central to the
Governments concerns. Mr Key says there will not be any huge
surprises in the Budget and believes its content has been
reasonably well forecast. He says it will have interesting
aspects, predicting plans for home insulation support and
the levels of savings found might surprise some people.

(People's willingness to be surprised, even in the face of
overwhelming evidence of impending change is always - well,
surprising. - BH)

THOUSANDS MARCH UP QUEEN ST
---------------------------

Auckland's central business district has come to a
standstill. Undeterred by heavy rain, thousands of
protestors are marching up Queen St, with most calling for
special Maori-only seats on the super city council. Taiaha
are being thrown in the air, while haka and songs are being
performed, interspersed with chants of "move aside Rodney
Hide, give us back our Maori pride," and "when Treaty rights
are under attack, stand back, fight back." Tino
Rangatiratanga flags are scattered among banners with
slogans such as "it's not about race, but rights." The
Public Service Association is also taking part in the
protest, calling for no redundancies for council workers.
There are also a number of protestors calling for the super
city plan to be scrapped altogether. Shops and office
buildings are empty as people spill out to watch.

NEW CHEESE GETS PAST YOUR EYES
------------------------------

Something to look forward to for cheese makers and cheese
lovers. Locally-made UN-pasteurised milk cheeses may soon be
available in New Zealand under new rules proposed by the
Food Safety Authority. Spokesman Scott Crerar says there are
inconsistencies in the law that need to be addressed. He
says some raw milk cheeses made overseas can be imported
while domestic manufacturers cannot make their own
equivalent products. But Mr Crerar says it is important for
customers to know that un-pasteurised milk products can pose
a higher food safety risk than traditional pasteurised
products.

(Why is it that sub-editors are suckers for horrible puns? -
BH)

DRAMATIC DROP IN CRIME
----------------------

An Auckland shopping district is boasting a 22 percent drop
in theft from people, cars and shops since CCTV cameras were
installed a year ago. Newmarket Business Association
spokesman, Cameron Brewer says prior to their installation,
civil libertarians claimed the cameras would not make a
difference. But he says the result has been fantastic, with
other districts around the country wanting to emulate the
model. Mr Brewer says a retired police officer monitors the
cameras from inside the local police station, and is in
constant radio contact with a security guard on the street.

Tuesday, 26 May 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PROFIT JUMP FOR TRUSTPOWER
--------------------------

TrustPower has posted an after tax surplus of almost $119
million for the year ended March. It is an increase of 28
percent on the previous financial year. Operating expenses
increased 11 percent, but operating revenue was up 15
percent. Directors have announced a total dividend pay out
of 33 cents per share for the 2009 financial year, compared
with 30 cents in 2008.

(What great timing! A week after the revelation that all the
major power suppliers have engaged in price gouging, the
week of a fairly tough budget, and with job losses
escalating, they announce an increase in profits. - BH)

GOVT SLAMS BRAKES ON BOY RACERS
-------------------------------

Prime Minister John Key has announced two new laws are being
put before Parliament to toughen up penalties and give local
bodies more power to curb illegal street racing. Mr Key says
the public has had enough and wants strong action. "As a
last resort, some people's vehicles could be crushed. There
will be tougher penalties for those who breach the law and
more vehicles are likely to be impounded." Mr Key says the
new law could see those who run up big fines having their
cars seized and sold to pay them. If they are convicted of
three offences within four years their car can be sent to
the crusher, after all the bells and whistles have been
removed for sale to pay their fines. Police Minister Judith
Collins hopes the racers will think twice before screeching
through urban streets. She says the message is that every
new offence will now bring them closer to the crusher. The
laws will be in place by December.

(As far as I can see, the boy racers have not moved their
collective feet towards the brake pedal whatsoever. My
opinion, and that of many commentators, is that the
announcements are akin to the chest hammering of the bull
gorilla. The rest of the herd are, as usual, unimpressed. -
BH)

HOMES TO BE DEMOLISHED FOR ROTORUA ROAD
---------------------------------------

A number of Rotorua residents have been left devastated
after hearing news their homes will be destroyed to build a
new four lane road. An independent commissioner has given
the Rotorua District Council the go ahead to construct the
Victoria St Arterial Route. Around 36 homes are directly
impacted, with many to be demolished. Rotorua Mayor Kevin
Winters says the decision allows the council to make
progress with plans to revitalise the CBD. He says it is
great news for traffic safety, the local economy and
downtown retail and commercial operations.

EXTRA PROTECTION FOR COMMUTERS
------------------------------

Rail passengers in the capital are receiving extra
protection. Community police officers have now been trained
up to patrol the city's commuter trains. Inspector Michael
Hill says the purpose is to improve their visibility and
accessibility, and target particular train services where
they've had problems in the past. He says their presence
should also provide reassurance for commuters on these dark
winter nights.

(Hmm... I would have thought that a more urgent need on Trans-
Metro trains was a bunch of people handing out blankets and
hot water bottles to compensate for the decrepitude and
failed heating in the aging rolling stock. - BH)

CALL FOR MAORI TO UNDERSTAND DEMOCRACY
--------------------------------------

Local government minister Rodney Hide remains unmoved by the
supercity hikoi but admits it was an impressive turnout. The
ACT MP says it did not change his mind over reserving
special seats for Maori in any future Supercity set up. He
has told Maori Party MP Hone Harawira his people need to
have more confidence in themselves, instead of saying they
can not succeed in local government, unless they are "given"
seats. Rodney Hide asks why Maori do not put as much effort
into standing for local government as they put into
organising a hikoi, because that is the way a democracy
works. But Hone Harawira says Maori do not like to vote
under that sort of structure. He says Maori only like to
vote for things that have a Maori focus and vision. The
issue still has to go before a select committee at
Parliament before any decision is made

NEW HEAD OF ELECTORAL COMMISSION
--------------------------------

A former tax man is to be the new boss of the Electoral
Commission. David Henry, who headed IRD from 1988 to 1995,
has just been appointed as chief executive. His appointment
is for one year and he replaces Dr Helena Catt who has
stepped down after five years in the role. David Henry has
ample prior electoral experience - he was also the Chief
Electoral Officer between 2000 and 2006

VETS NEED TO CHANGE HABITS
--------------------------

It is hoped new research can be used to help veterinarians
avoid chronic back pain. A Massey University study of more
than 850 vets has found 96 percent have bad backs. They
reported jobs like pregnancy testing of cows, foot trimming
and animal surgery are all back-aching tasks. Researcher
Andrew Scuffman says breaking bad lifting and posture habits
could be part of a solution. He says vets would need to re-
look at how they undertake tasks with a view to reducing the
risk. Mr Scuffman says the research paves the way to improve
health and safety outcomes for vets.

COWS CLAM UP IN THE COLD
------------------------

This month's unseasonably cold weather is affecting milk
production but consumers are being told not to worry about
any rise in price. Normally most dairy farmers begin to wind
down production in June due to a lack of grass growth and
feed. However this month, those same farmers have noticed a
drop in production already Federated Farmers dairy chairman
Lachlan McKenzie says it has simply been too cold for any
grass growth and cows have been unable to produce. He says
it will affect production but not for the domestic market.

NATIONAL WARMS TO STATE FUNDING
-------------------------------

After previously opposing state funding for political
parties, it seems National is now approaching the idea in a
new light. The proposal is included in a discussion paper on
electoral reform released last week by the government. Prime
Minister John Key says he is open to the idea, but says it
would be quite a big step to take further advances in state
funding as there are already elements of it when it comes to
paying for party campaign advertising. He says the paper is
wide-ranging and it would not have been credible if state
funding of political parties had not been included.

Wednesday, 27 May 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOVT ACCUSED OF LYING ABOUT TAX CUTS
------------------------------------

The Prime Minister has all but confirmed the Budget's most
open secret, that the tax cuts he promised for next year and
the year after will be canned. Replying to claims that he
personally guaranteed the tax cuts, Mr Key says
circumstances have changed significantly since the election.
He says the Government has to deal with the dynamic
conditions it faces. Finance Minister Bill English told
Parliament a tax strategy will not be a theme in tomorrow's
Budget. Labour Party Finance spokesman David Cunliffe says
National lied to the public about tax cuts and kept doing so
after it was clear they weren't affordable. He says the
crime was in promising them after the IMF said the world was
going to "heck in a handbasket" and after firm Lehman
Brothers hit the wall. Mr Cunliffe says at least his party
had the honesty and integrity to prune back its package
before the election, when it assessed the economic
situation.

(All the shock-horror posturing about the "broken promises"
is mere partisan politics in my opinion. The fact is that
the money is not there to do as originally intended, and it
would be economic lunacy to borrow money to fund these cuts.
- BH)

LAW SOCIETY OPPOSES THREE STRIKES BILL
--------------------------------------

A warning from the New Zealand Law Society that an important
part of the legal system could be curtailed if three strikes
legislation becomes law. MPs are hearing submissions on the
ACT bill, which would impose mandatory 25 year prison terms
on people convicted of a third serious offence. Law Society
spokesman Jonathan Krebs says a principal reason for their
opposition to the bill is the way it would erode the
judicial discretion of the courts. He says an important part
of current court processes is the fact judges are
independent and can make decisions based on a wide range of
discretionary factors - and the three strikes bill would
limit that. Mr Krebs says it is likely the law will be used
on exactly zero occasions over the next 10 years, so the
society cannot see the need for it. ACT MP David Garrett
says if that is the case then he cannot see why the Law
Society is so afraid of the legislation. Mr Krebs says it is
because it is a bad law.

ENVIRONMENT MINISTRY APPROVES UPGRADE
-------------------------------------

The Ministry for the Environment has given initial approval
to Transpower's upgrade of the upper North Island power
grid. Transpower is proposing to build a new overhead
electricity transmission line, underground cables and
substations between Whakamaru, Otahuhu and Pakuranga. The
Environment Ministry's Board of Enquiry has put out its
draft decision and report on the upgrade today. The board
says allowing the upgrade would promote sustainable
management of natural and physical resources more than
saying no to it. Transpower, the nine impacted councils, the
Minister for the Environment and those who have already made
submissions have until June 24 to make comments on the draft
decision and report.

(I think the battle is over. Continued opposition may prove
costly, as the courts have often awarded costs against
people who are deemed to have made unreasonable appeals. -
BH)

REDUCED FONTERRA PAYOUT FORECAST
--------------------------------

Fonterra has announced a reduced forecast payout for the
2009/10 season. It is estimating it will be $4.55 per kg of
milk solids, down from this season's pay out of $5.20 a kg,
and a far cry from the record $7.90 a kg farmers received
last year. The price reflects the low international dairy
commodity prices and is based on the New Zealand dollar
buying 59 US cents. Chairman Henry van der Heyden says the
volatile currency and international uncertainty make
forecasting extremely difficult. In view of farmers? tight
cash flows, the board has decided to bring forward this
year's value return payment for the 2008/09 season. It will
now be dished out in August.

CHINESE BUYING INTO F&P APPLIANCES
----------------------------------

A cornerstone stake in Fisher & Paykel Appliances is going
to the Chinese. China-based appliance manufacture Haier is
buying a 20 percent stake for 46 million dollars. F&P
Appliances has posted a massive $95 million loss. In
February, the firm warned the market it was in trouble,
blaming one-off restructuring and the global recession's
impacts on sales. Fisher & Paykel Appliances says in
addition it plans to rise a minimum of $189 million through
the issue of new shares. It has also agreed with its banks
to increase its debt to $575 million.

NZ TAKES IT TO DOHA
-------------------

New Zealand is among countries trying to drum up support to
reach an anti-protectionism deal soon in the World Trade
Organisation's long running Doha round. The nation is one of
13 states signed up to a document along those lines. The
document has appeared as negotiators talk of a growing
improvement in political conditions for a new trade deal,
even if the economic crisis looks set to increase
protectionist policies. Technical work is quietly continuing
on areas from agriculture and industrial goods to fisheries
and trade and environment. It is hoped the improved
political mood will see a way out of the repeated impasses
in negotiations that have seen ministerial meetings collapse
three years in a row.

UNIONS WANT JOB CREATION
------------------------

Trade unionists hope the Budget will deliver a major boost
to schemes which will create jobs and develop skills. The
Government is due to outline its fiscal plans tomorrow and
future deficits and the possibility of a credit downgrade
remain central to the Governments concerns. But Council of
Trade Unions secretary Peter Conway wants to see a Budget
which is less about credit agencies and more about helping
people who are facing unemployment. He says they would most
like to see investment in skills and job creation, including
home insulation and Task Force Green. Mr Conway says in the
context of a global recession, New Zealand needs a Budget
which invests in people and the future.

LABOUR TALKS GROWTH NOT CUTS
----------------------------

The Government is being urged to ignore credit rating
agencies and present tomorrow's Budget on its own terms.
Concerns about the Budget process have been raised given
staff from ratings agency Standard and Poor's are meeting
with the Finance Minister this week. The Government is under
the threat of a credit downgrade if it does not address
forecast debt levels. The Labour Party's catch cry ahead of
tomorrow's Budget is growth not cuts. As a result of ongoing
line by line reviews of departmental spending the Government
is promising some significant cutbacks. But Labour leader
Phil Goff says the Government has to be focussed on creating
jobs. He says there are two ways you can balance a budget;
one is by slashing and burning, the other is by investing
constructively in growth and innovation. Phil Goff says
regrettably the Government is adopting slash and burn and he
hopes it sees the error of its ways.

500 WORKERS TO LOSE JOBS
------------------------

Five hundred workers' jobs are on the line after the failure
of two companies linked to a billion dollar Queenstown
development. The companies involved in stage one of the
Kawarau Falls Station in Queenstown have been taken over by
receivers. Stage one includes the Westin and Quadrant Hotels
and adjoining apartments on Lake Wakatipu. Receiver Brendon
Gibson says workers will know in two weeks whether they will
keep their jobs. He will work with contractors and other
parties involved in the development to decide whether it
will continue. Construction has not started on stages two
and three. Brendon Gibson says those stages are subject to
separate arrangements and financiers.

HOME INSULATION AFFORDABILITY?
------------------------------

It is thought many homeowners will not be able to access a
home insulation subsidy because they can't afford the
initial cost outlay. The government is expected to announce
a plan in the Budget to spend more than 300-million dollars
over four years on subsidies for private home insulation. It
is believed the subsidy would equate to two-thirds of the
cost of the insulation work. Mangere Budgeting and Family
Support Services chief executive Darryl Evans says it is not
a bad idea but the number of working families accessing
budget services is huge. He is questioning how many of those
families could afford the initial cost outlay to access the
scheme in the first place. Mr Evans says the scheme's uptake
might be greater if homeowners could get an interest-free
loan for the insulation work. He says he would also like to
see particular incentives to encourage landlords to insulate
their rental properties.

(As I write, there is hail bouncing on the ground outside my
window. The house is warm, with both gas and electrical
heating, but at some cost. I may have to explore this. - BH)

Thursday, 28 May 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CREDIT RATING REMAINS AT AA+
----------------------------

Finance Minister Bill English says he would have been be
surprised if there had been a downgrade in New Zealand's
credit rating as a result of today's Budget. Credit agency
Standard & Poor's has taken the Government off negative
watch averting the chance of increased Government borrowing
costs. The rating remains at AA+. Mr English says he has
delivered a considered Budget, during the worst economic
conditions since the 1930s. He says it was important New
Zealand avoided a downgrade. ASB Chief Economist Nick
Tuffley says it is one piece of good news that come out of
today's announcement. "We've had Standard & Poor's put us
back from negative credit watch back onto a stable outlook
for our credit rating. So that does look like the risk of a
downgrade has been reduced quite a bit." Mr Tuffley says the
other rating agency Moody's is also comfortable with New
Zealand rating.

BUDGET "LIES AND DECEPTION"
---------------------------

Today's Budget is being dismissed as lies and deception by
Labour. Among the announcements are confirmation that tax
cuts planned for next year and 2011 have been cancelled. The
cuts are the biggest causality the Budget, as the government
trims new spending, amid growing deficits and increasing
unemployment numbers. Labour leader Phil Goff says the
Budget fails to deliver on the promises made by Prime
Minister John Key on the election campaign. "This is a
dishonest Budget. The tax cuts personally guaranteed by John
Key dishonestly to win an election - they're gone." Finance
Minister Bill English says the cancellation of the tax cuts
will save the government $900 million a year by 2011. He
says no one could anticipate the depth of the global
recession when the tax policy was released before the
election. "We've been forced by the depth of that recession
to make some trade-offs. We've implemented half of our tax
programme. We could have implemented the second half by
borrowing a lot more money, or by cutting entitlements and
public services." Mr Goff maintains the Budget does nothing
for jobs or rising unemployment. He is also ripping into the
Government's decision to suspend contributions to the
Superannuation Fund for over a decade. "What this means is
that that Government won't face up to its responsibility for
the future that those baby boomers over there are bound to
be bludging off Generation X and Y." Mr Goff says National
has broken the cross-party accord on superannuation and is
selling short future generations.

(Mr Goff's speech after the budget was a regrettable playing
out of the expected rituals, and given the numbers in the
house, the moving of motions to reject the budget were just
a fatuous waste of the house's time. - BH)

MOVES TOWARDS FASTER BROADBAND FUNDED
-------------------------------------

The Government will kick-start its plans for faster
broadband with a $290 million injection for the next
financial year. Over the next 10 years the Government is
planning to spend a total of $1.5 billion on the roll out of
ultra fast broadband to businesses, schools, hospitals and
75 percent of homes. It expect the investment will be at
least matched by the private sector. The first allocation of
$290 million will be split the following way: $200 million
capital for infrastructure investment $34 million for making
schools broadband-ready $8 million of operating spending
(including $6 million for the Crown Fibre Investment
Company) The Government says in addition to the $1.5 billion
broadband proposal, rural areas will benefit from a $48
million investment in broadband infrastructure.

BUDGET FUNDS MORE DOCTORS
-------------------------

Funding to train more doctors and more training for health
professionals in rural areas are included in the Budget's
health plan. Health Minister Tony Ryall says despite the
worsening economic situation, the Government has allocated
more than 40 percent of all new Government funding for
Budget 2009 to health priorities. An additional $3 billion
will be put into the sector over the next four years,
including $750 million in 2009/10. Sixty new medical
training places will be funded in 2009/10, which is the
first step of the Government's intention to establish 200
new places annually. Twenty-five extra places will be
allocated for general practitioner training in 2009/10,
increasing to 50 extra places per year. Up to 800 additional
health professionals will be funded over four years to
increase services for patients needing elective surgery; $4
million over four years will go towards training for health
professionals in rural areas. "New Zealand has the highest
percentage of foreign trained doctors of any OECD country
(36 percent) and is also the biggest exporter of doctors (29
percent). The increase in medical undergraduate places,
combined with the voluntary bonding scheme, will help build
our own capacity at home," says Mr Ryall. District Health
Boards will received $2.1 billion extra for services to
their local populations. Included in the initiative to
boosting funding for subsided medicines, $46.9 million will
go towards funding Herceptin and associated costs. $89.5
million over four years will be spent on improving quality
and supervision in aged residential care facilities and
respite care for those being cared for by others at home.
The Government says that to meet the increased maternity
service needs, there is additional funding of $103.5 million
over four years. The funding will allow longer stays in
birthing facilities and support services for parents in the
form of $14 million for an around-the-clock Plunketline
telephone advice service. Other health funding includes: $60
million over four years for hospice and palliative care.
$100 million over four years as a contribution to Energy for
the New Zealand Insulation Fund. $37.2 million over four
years to help to securely care and rehabilitate offenders
with an intellectual disability outside of the criminal
justice system. $245 million over four years into capital
infrastructure. $15.3 million over two years starting in
2011/12 into voluntary bonding for hard to staff health
professions and locations.

BUDGET ALLOCATES FUNDING FOR TEACHER PAY RISES

Pay rises for teachers and other school staff have been
earmarked in the Budget. The Government has allocated $1.68
billion to improving frontline education services in the
current year and over the next four years. The package
includes $523.3 million in operating and capital funding to
support a 21st Century School Building Programme to expand
and future-proof existing schools and build new ones. An
extra $80.1 million will go towards day-to-day school
operations, $36 million to support the Crusade for Literacy
and Numeracy; $16 million to fight truancy and $34 million
to improve schools access to high-speed broadband.
Additional funding will go towards improving the education
of students with special needs and behavioural issues,
including $8 million to help manage disruptive pupils. The
package will provide $69.7 million for improving access to
early childhood education (ECE) by expanding 20 hours ECE to
playcentres and kohanga reo and removing the six-hour daily
limit. Education Minister Anne Tolley says $169.1 million in
2009/2010 will go towards pay increases for teachers; $70
million over four years to cover salary increases for school
caretakers, cleaners and ground staff; and $127 million to
inflation-adjust funding for tertiary institutions from
2010. Ms Tolley says that of the $1.34 billion operating and
$339.6 million in capital spending allocated to education in
this Budget between 2008/09 and 2012/13, $661.8 million has
been funded through careful reprioritisation of the previous
Government's plans. ?Our focus has been on getting maximum
value for education dollars. Savings have been achieved by
reducing the amount of money tied up in the bureaucracy,
reducing expenditure in lower-value areas such as community
education hobby courses and postponing some initiatives
until economic conditions improve."

INSULATION AND CLEAN HEATING GRANTS ANNOUNCED

The Government's Budget includes grants for insulation and
clean heating in more than 180,000 homes. It allocates
$323.3 million over four years for a campaign to fit homes
with insulation and clean heating devices, such as heat
pumps and approved wood burners. The Government says the
goal is to see up to 60,500 homes insulated each year by
2012/13. Government grants of up to $1,800 will be available
for houses built before 2000 that require ceiling and under
floor insulation or a clean heating device, regardless of
income. Energy and Resources Minister Gerry Brownlee says a
large number of houses are cold and damp because they are
inadequately insulated. He says the scheme is an important
step towards warmer homes as well as invigorating the
retrofit industry. "It will generate jobs for New Zealanders
involved in producing and installing insulation and clean
heating," says Mr Brownlee. The scheme will start on July 1.

BUDGET CONFIRMS TAX CUTS CANCELLED
----------------------------------

The tax cuts planned for next year and 2011 have been
cancelled as the economic outlook worsens. Finance Minister
Bill English has presented his first Budget under the new
government, dubbing it the 'Road to Recovery.' The planned
future tax cuts are the biggest casualty, with Mr English
saying the Government's revenue strategy has had to be re-
evaluated in light of the contracting economy and growing
debt. The cancellation of the tax cuts will save the
Government around $900 million a year by 2011. While
maintaining the superannuation payment of 66 percent of the
average wage, the Government will suspend automatic
contributions to the New Zealand Superannuation Fund. The
payments will not restart again until at least 2020. A $323
million plan to insulate up to 180,000 homes has been
unveiled and will see a Government subsidy of $1,800 made
available to some homeowners. Spending on health will
increase by $3 billion over the next four years, spending on
education will increase $1.68 billion and there will be
extra funds available for 600 new police officers. The
operating deficit is expected to rise from $7.7 billion this
year, to $9.3 billion by next year. Unemployment, which
currently stands at five percent, is forecast by Treasury to
rise to eight percent by September next year, which will
equate to 179,000 people without jobs. The worst case
scenario is an unemployment rate of 9.5 percent. New
spending for this Budget totals $1.45 billion, half of the
average over the last five years. As the economy worsens, Mr
English says the new spending allowance for next year's
Budget will be capped at just $1.1 billion. He says the
line-by-line departmental reviews have freed up $2 billion
over the next four years and that will be put into
Government priorities of boosting frontline services.

CASINO'S SUCCESSFUL CAPITAL RAISING
-----------------------------------

Sky City Entertainment's $35 million share purchase plan and
top up offer have closed over subscribed. Applications
totalling $87.5 million were received for the purchase plan
and $10.1 million for the top up allowing the company to
raise the maximum amount of $43 million. The total amount
when added to the recent equity placement to institutions,
is $228.3 million. Applications under the SPP are will be
scaled back on a pro-rata basis. CEO Nigel Morrison, says
the company is very pleased with the support and endorsement
received from shareholders. He says the capital raisings
mean that Sky City continues to be in a strong financial
position and is well placed to take advantage of future
opportunities. Sky City Entertainment shares are trading one
cent lower at $2.84.

PPP FOR AUCK TRAINS "NO FREE LUNCH"
-----------------------------------

The head of the Auckland Regional Council is panning a
proposal that the private sector could invest in
electrifying the city's rail network. Transport Minister
Steven Joyce has been looking at public private partnerships
in Australia and believes the model could be used in
Auckland. But Mike Lee, chairman of the Auckland Regional
Council, says the concept has already been looked at in
every which way. He says the problem is that private
companies have to make a profit, which would be paid for by
the ratepayer, taxpayer and train users. Mr Lee says perhaps
it is the case that the minister has a magic formula but in
his experience, there is no such thing as a free lunch. He
is also suspicious about the timing of the announcement and
suspects it might be intended to soften the blow if there is
no money for electrification in the budget. Mr Lee says
following the government's move to scrap a regional fuel
tax, the past few months have been a series of
disappointments on Auckland's public transport front. His
main concern at this point is that the project to electrify
the region's rail network will face further delays.

(Just in case it wasn't clear, PPP stands for Public/Private
Partnerships - BH)

ACC DOWNPLAYS STAFF LAY OFFS
----------------------------

The Accident Compensation Corporation is downplaying its
intention to lay off 70 staff, emphasising instead the
creation of 100 positions on the frontline, as part of
restructuring. Chief Executive Jan White says the proposed
changes have been prompted by the need to ensure efficiency
and will affect 180 positions, however many of the people
affected will be moved into new roles. ACC has also removed
150 contractor roles mainly because of a $150 million IT
project coming to an end. Dr White says the proposed changes
have been prompted by the need to ensure efficiency and by
the completion of some programmes.

FARMERS NOT HAPPY ABOUT FONTERRA'S FOCUS

Federated Farmers is accusing Fonterra of losing its focus.
The dairy giant has announced an opening forecast pay out of
$4.55 per kilogram of milk solids for the 2009/2010 season,
down on this season's pay out of $5.20 and a massive drop
from the record $7.90 farmers received last year. Federated
Farmers dairy chairman Lachlan McKenzie claims Fonterra is
focussing too much on its capital structure. "It's got to
make sure it doesn't take its eye off the core business of
maximising the value of goods back to New Zealand and of
keeping cost structures at a minimum level." Mr McKenzie
says dairy farmers are in for a hard time in the short term
and a massive increase in on-farm costs imposed by central
and local government in recent years is not helping the
situation. Mr McKenzie says the way to stimulate the
provincial economy is to slash the budgets of regional and
district councils. However, Mr McKenzie still believes that
in the long term, dairy farming is a very good industry and
he hopes the reduced pay out does not discourage young
people from entering the sector.

MINIMUM WAGE FOR CONTRACTORS FAILS
----------------------------------

Labour's bid to get the minimum living wage paid to
contractors failed in Parliament last night but not before
some spirited debate. National MP Tau Henare accused Labour
Parekura Horomia, who spoke in favour of the Labour Party
bill, of spending too much time at McDonald's buying filet
o' fish and Big Mac combos with double fries followed by a
thick shake. He said the bill was nothing more than a sop to
Labour's trade union mates. Mr Horomia and Labour colleague
Shane Jones have been the butt of jokes since being spotted
ducking into McDonalds during this week's hikoi in Auckland.

Friday, 29 May 2009
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AIR NZ LOOKS TO CUT 80 JOBS
---------------------------

Another 80 jobs are on the line at Air New Zealand as it
looks at further cuts to its services. Air New Zealand says
it will cut capacity by a further three percent for the 2010
financial year, because of falling demand as consumers
tighten their belts in the face of global recession. The
airline says 40 cabin crew and pilots may be impacted, as
well those in around 40 airport handling roles in Auckland
and Christchurch, as a result of Qantas terminating its
service.

JUST FOUR WEEKS FOR SUPER CITY FEEDBACK
---------------------------------------

Aucklanders are to get just four weeks to have their say on
legislation establishing a single council to govern the
region. The special Parliamentary Select Committee set up to
take feedback on the super city's proposed council, ward,
and community board structure has just called for
submissions. Committee chairman John Carter says the closing
date for submissions will be June 26. He says submitters
must focus on matters raised in the legislation as the
committee will not be considering any other issues.

PROMISES ARE "SMOKE AND MIRRORS" - TEACHERS

Teachers promised extra money for pay increases in the
budget are describing the move as smoke and mirrors. PPTA
President Kate Gainsford says Finance Minister Bill English
is promoting the $169 million earmarked for teachers pay as
one of the main selling points for his budget. But she says
the claim is misleading, as it is not actually extra money
but a hard-fought concession won during collective
bargaining in 2007 and something the Government is now
legally obliged to pay. Ms Gainsford says there was actually
very little in the Budget for teachers and schools and the
union is deeply concerned about plans to cut staff funding
by $50 million in 2011. She says that will be impossible
without increasing student-teacher ratios.

LABOUR FRUSTRATED WITH URGENCY
------------------------------

Having to work overtime to pass Budget amendments to tax
laws is not sitting well with the Labour Party. Parliament
is sitting under urgency today debating legislation designed
to revoke the $900 million worth of future tax cuts
previously promised by the National led Government. Labour's
Trevor Mallard is questioning why urgency is even needed,
given the tax breaks being revoked would not have been
introduced until next year anyway. He says MPs are
considering legislation that is not urgent at all.

(They have a point there, all the more because the
legislation being repealed under urgency was itself passed
under urgency with much fanfare, pretty much in the first
week of the new government - BH)

BUSINESS LEADER DISPUTES JOB FORECASTS
--------------------------------------

The head of the Business Roundtable believes there is no
reason for unemployment to reach eight percent by September
next year. Treasury's forecast indicates that 179,000 people
will be without work by that date. In a worst case scenario,
the unemployment rate could rise as high as 9.5 percent,
equating to 217,000 jobless. But Roger Kerr, head of the
Business Roundtable, doubts the rate needs to get anywhere
near those levels. He says if the Government addresses a
faster adjustment in the economy and works on freeing up the
labour market, then the country could get through the
recession with the unemployment rate well below eight
percent. Mr Kerr says business leaders are seeing the Budget
as one that focussed on productivity and economic growth.

PHARMACISTS SAY BORDER SECURITY THE PROBLEM

Gaps in New Zealand's border security are responsible for
people getting their hands on the ingredients used to make P
according to pharmacists. Annabel Young, Pharmacy Guild
chief executive, says pharmacists are committed to social
responsibility and over the counter sales of cold and flu
medicines containing pseudoephedrine are declining by more
than 20 percent year-on-year. The drug is also used in the
manufacture of methamphetamine. Ms Young says while
pharmacists are showing greater caution and are making it
harder for pill shoppers to access the drug, that is not
where the real problem lies. She says most of the P is being
made from Chinese-imported precursors so the greater problem
is the vast amount coming in over the border. Ms Young says
pseudoephedrine is an effective drug for treating colds and
flu and it would be a pity if pharmacies could not sell it
any more.

MAORI SAY FUNDING OK GIVEN THE ECONOMY
--------------------------------------

The Maori Party is happy with the $120 million set aside for
Maori in the Budget, which includes $22 million for Treaty
claims, $20 million for education, $15 million for an
aquaculture settlement, $12 million for rural housing and
almost $6 million for language initiatives. Maori Party co-
leader Pita Sharples says there has never been enough money
available, but he is happy with what has been allocated,
given the economic circumstances.

WARMER HOMES A GRANT AWAY
-------------------------

The Government expects 60,000 homes a year to be insulated
as part of its Budget package. Over the next four years,
$323 million will be spent on providing grants of $1800 for
homeowners to help them afford to have their homes fitted
with insulation and heat pumps. Around 180,000 homes will be
included in the scheme, which will be run in conjunction
with the Energy Efficiency Conservation Agency. Energy
Minister Gerry Brownlee says 27,000 homes are likely to be
insulated in the first year, rising to 60,000 a year by
2012. He says the scheme is an important step towards
achieving warmer homes and will invigorate the retrofit
industry. Mr Brownlee says people need to realise that the
barriers that have been in place in warming their homes have
now been taken down. There are currently 30 certified
insulation providers and the Government is expecting the
initiative to create several thousand new jobs. Installers
will need to be licensed by the agency so that the quality
of the work can be guaranteed.

SUBSCRIBE OR UNSUBSCRIBE
visit the website listed below, where you can make changes
as required. If you want to send a personal message to
Brian, change the country code to nz and send a message
brian.har...@vuw.ac.xx If you do choose to comment on
something in these posts, please don't send the whole
newsletter with your message. Just trim it back to the
relevant bits. Thanks. Brian.