Greetings News Clipper fans!

In preparation for the new version of News Clipper, a new an improved database
server is now online. The server should be entirely backward compatible with
the old one, and will also accomodate new types of handlers as News Clipper
evolves. If you have any problems, please send me email.

What "new types of handlers" do I mean? News Clipper 1.18 will have a new
handler format which will be significantly less complicated that the old style
handler. Most of the changes I already described in
http://www.mail-archive.com/newsclipperdevlist%40newsclipper.com/msg00126.html

I've updated all the handlers to the new version. If you are curious, you
can access them using urls like:
http://handlers.newsclipper.com/cgi-bin/gethandler?tag=slashdot&ncversion=1.18
http://handlers.newsclipper.com/cgi-bin/gethandler?tag=weather&ncversion=1.18

Any feedback regarding the new handler style is welcome. I expect this new
style to be around for a while, so if you have suggestions, please get them in
before the new release. (Also, I fixed all the new handlers to work for the
current developmental version of NC, so if you have a broken handler for the
old version, you might want to see if the new version of the handler gives you
any hints on how to fix it.)

Development continues on the next version of News Clipper. Instead of
releasing a lot of intermediate versions up the next "big" version, I've held
off because people were saying that "every new version changes everything".

New features include:
- automatic download of handlers when a website changes and a new handler is
  available
- a quickie -e flag for testing: "NewsClipper.pl -e slashdot"
- a totally revamped error system, resulting in better user-level messages
- revamped caching system which uses recently developed Perl caching modules
  (heh, I had to help write the modules. :)
- conversion programs to convert your old handlers and setup to the new one

Stay tuned!

David