David,

True I am using grep filter map etc... My problem wasnt with the automatic
updates. Its when I actually run newsclipper. It goes to your database first
to check for updated versions. If I run newsclipper and see that your server
is down, it would be nice to turn off databases connection maybe for that
one time, and then add it back in once the server problems are fixed. But I
guess if you think Newsclipper.pl should always go to the database first
then maybe its good to keep things the way they are. I just hope you can get
your database server back up!!(not just for us I know
servers can be annoying at times).

Vikas