I'm happy to announce News Clipper 1.26 BETA. Typically News Clipper
is tested for 1 to 2 weeks before release. However, a number of people
have had quite a bit of trouble with the "undefined value in
File::Cache" bug. As a result, I'm releasing this beta to allow these
people to have early access (despite the potential risks associated
with a beta version).

Users of News Clipper versions after 1.18 should have no problem installing
this version over their older version. Users of News Clipper versions before
1.18 will need to convert their handlers using the included ConvertHandler
utility. !!ConvertHandler does most of the work, but manual intervention
is usually necessary to complete the conversion!!

Download:
- You can now download NewsClipper 1.26 from:
  http://www.newsclipper.com/beta/
- I'm still working out problems with the binaries for IRIX and
  SunOS/Solaris. Hopefully they will be out soon.
- Binaries for AIX, FreeBSD, HP-UX, Linux Libc5, and OpenBSD are
  untested. Please send me your experiences, good or bad.

New since version 1.23:
- Added LOCAL_TIME_ZONE option to timezone specifications, which causes the
  local time zone to be used.
- Re-implemented caching to use a different persistence mechanism. (This
  should finally squash the dreaded undefined value in File::Cache error.)
- Added a lockfile (~/.NewsClipper/lock) that prevents more than one copy of
  News Clipper from running at the same time. (LockFile::Simple module now
  required.)
- Faster verification of handler type during counting of number of installed
  acquisition handlers
- Decreased dependence on handler server during couting of number of installed
  acquisition handlers
- Installation no longer requires "make NewsClipper_Cleanup" step
- Installation now automatically converts older configuration files.
- Added ExtractTables function to HTMLTools.
- Non-fatal errors while contacting the handler server are now printed in the
  output as HTML comments.
- A few speed improvements.

Regards,
David