Running mate scares off some voters
<http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article818181.ece>http://www.tampabay.com/news/politics/state/article818181.ece

By
<http://www.tampabay.com/writers/article380298.ece>Adam
C. Smith, Times Political Editor

Published Friday, September 19, 2008 11:11 AM

ST. PETERSBURG - Five weeks ago, the St.
Petersburg Times convened a group of Tampa Bay
voters who were undecided about the presidential
election. Their strong distrust of Barack Obama
suggested it was a group ripe for John McCain to
win over.

Not anymore. The group has swung dramatically, if
unenthusiastically, toward Democrat Obama. Most
of them this week cited the same reason: Sarah
Palin.

"The one thing that frightens me more than
anything else are the ideologues. We've seen too
many," said 80-year-old Air Force veteran Donn
Spegal, a lifelong Republican from St.
Petersburg, who sees McCain's new running mate as
the kind of "wedge issue" social conservative
that has made him disenchanted with his party.

"I'm truly offended by Palin,'' said Republican
Philinia Lehr, 37, of Largo, a full-time mother
with a nursing degree who voted for George Bush
in 2004. Like Palin, she has five children and
she doesn't buy that the Alaska governor can
adequately balance her family and the vice
presidency.

"You're somebody's mom and what are you going to
do, say, 'Excuse me, country, hold on?' Š She's
preaching that she's this mom of the year and
taking that poor little baby all over everywhere.
And, you know, what she's doing to her
17-year-old daughter is just appalling.'' Lehr
said she's bothered by the way Palin's pregnant
daughter has been brought into the national
spotlight.

Of the 11 undecided voters participating in the
discussion one recent evening at the Times - four
Republicans, five Democrats, and two registered
to no party - only two Republican men applauded
the selection of Palin.

Nobody had finalized a choice, but seven of the
panelists said that McCain's running mate
selection had made them more likely to vote for
Obama, and in several cases much more likely.

"And that ticks me off because I do not want
Obama,'' said Democrat Annette Kocsis, 68, a
former Hillary Rodham Clinton supporter from
Clearwater, scoffing at "the pit bull in
lipstick," as Palin has called herself.

Palin, who makes her first Florida campaign stop
Sunday in a Republican stronghold in
north-central Florida, has generated enthusiasm
among conservatives. But at least with this
randomly selected group of swing voters, she
appears to be an obstacle to McCain's winning
over disillusioned Democrats or moderates.

"That was almost insulting," Democrat Rhonda
Laris of Temple Terrace, another strong Clinton
backer skeptical of Obama, said of the Palin
pick. "Do they think we're really stupid? Š I'm
definitely leaning toward the Democratic side
now. Sarah Palin scares ... me."

Obama is not making inroads because of anything
he has done or said. It's more that McCain has
repelled these swing voters in the biggest
battleground region of the biggest battleground
state. In several cases, voters who had sounded
hungry for a reason to vote for McCain now sound
resigned to settling for Obama.

"It's McCain's beliefs," said Annette Maakestad,
57, of St. Petersburg, explaining why she's
shifting toward Obama. "I don't think he's
changed or he's going to change his party that
much."

But they're still not sold on the Illinois senator.

"I really wanted someone youthful and someone who
could relate more to the future generations,"
said Republican Jim Soltis, 70, of Holiday, who
is weighing his desire for expanded health
insurance access with maintaining Bush's tax
cuts. "So I keep watching and watching and hoping
for Obama to say the right things, and he's not
saying them."

Most members of the panel participated in a
similar meeting in August, though three new
voters joined the group this week. The
conventions did nothing for them - bored them, in
many cases - and they're looking for the debates
starting Friday to finally help them make up
their minds.

"I'm not crazy about Obama, and I'm really not
crazy about McCain," said Democrat Carlos
Gonzalez, a 70-year-old higher education
administrator from Oldsmar, who preferred
Clinton. "I really have not heard anybody saying
what they're going to do with this mess we have."

Rebecca Montilla, a 22-year-old premed student at
the University of South Florida, began
questioning her Democratic allegiances when it
struck her in the primary that Democrats were
sounding reckless about yanking troops out of
Iraq. Obama's inexperience worries her, but she
comes from a lower-middle-class family in Orlando
that is increasingly struggling to keep food on
the table. McCain offers no reassurance.

"I go back and forth, like, every day,'' she
said. "It just seems like a lot of bickering, and
it's really difficult for me to see what McCain's
going to do and what Obama's going to do."

Said Lehr: "I wish we could put them both back in
the hat, shake it up, and start over and pick two
new candidates."

Adam C. Smith can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] or (727) 893-8241.

What they're saying about Palin

"The one thing that frightens me more than
anything else are the ideologues. We've seen too
many."

Donn Spegal, 80, St. Petersburg, Republican Air Force veteran

"I'm truly offended by Palin. You're somebody's
mom and what are you going to do, say, 'Excuse
me, country, hold on?' "

Philinia Lehr, 37, Largo, Republican full-time mother

"That was almost insulting. Do they think we're
really stupid? ... I'm definitely leaning toward
the Democratic side now. Sarah Palin scares ...
me." "

Rhonda Laris, Temple Terrace, Democrat

"She is Dick Cheney with a dress on."

Bill Chever, 56, St. Petersburg, Independent Air Force veteran

Monday

10,917.51