Greetings KIN,

We wanted to make sure we forwarded this very important
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=tmTYZmPU6t2BiQtGUA2xsX8ZLn5TGHGt>call

to action that demands that White vigilantes in Algiers and the
police officers who turned a blind eye to their shooting of Black New
Orleanians trying to escape Hurricane Katrina get brought to justice.

Take a minute to
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=LTFCxwQ%2BEirTnc%2BmcFN9eYz7KBtiSvMh>act

with us. And spread the word!

Thanks!

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=htuwRfHNxVMHbgEnRVVbp4z7KBtiSvMh>Katrina

Information Network

From
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FK4PKfxe14a8aycb%2BvbLzn8ZLn5TGHGt>Color

of Change:

A new report in
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ljdj7obm4zXEBqkFWpzbrX8ZLn5TGHGt>The

Nation documents what many have claimed for years -- for some Black
New Orleanians the threat of being killed by White vigilantes in
Katrina's aftermath became a bigger threat than the storm itself.

After the storm, White vigilantes roamed Algiers Point shooting and,
according to their own accounts, killing Black men at will-- with no
threat of a police response.  For the last three years, the shootings
and the police force's role in them have been an open secret to many
New Orleanians.  To date, no one has been charged with a crime and
law enforcement officials have refused to investigate.

The facts are finally seeing the light of day. Now we must
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2B3LN5jxsGjuqtzwhfBGcQYz7KBtiSvMh>demand

action.  Given Louisiana's horrible record when it comes to criminal
justice and Black folks, it's the only path to justice.

You can help.
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=toaZiG6Kd3ABWGNh2pGqRX8ZLn5TGHGt>Join

us in calling on Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, Louisiana's
Attorney General Buddy Caldwell, and the U.S. Department of Justice
to conduct a full investigation of these crimes and any police
cover-up.  It takes only a moment to add your voice and to invite
your friends and family to do the same:

In the two weeks after Hurricane Katrina made landfall, the media
created a climate of fear with trumped-up stories of Black
lawlessness.  Meanwhile, an armed group of White vigilantes took over
the Algiers Point neighborhood in New Orleans and mercilessly hunted
down Black people.  "It was great!" said one vigilante.  "It was like
pheasant season in South Dakota.  If it moved, you shot it."

The Nation's article tells the story of Donnell Herrington, Marcel
Alexander, and Chris Collins -- a group of friends who were attacked
by shotgun-wielding White men as they entered Algiers Point on
September 1, 2005. As they tried to escape, Herrington recalls, their
attackers shouted, "Get him! Get that nigger!" He managed to get
away. Alexander and Collins were told that they would be allowed to
live on the condition that they told other Black folks not to come to
Algiers Point. Herrington, shot in the neck, barely survived.

And there's the story of
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=W4kUN2XW7D1WsM0gek%2B7g38ZLn5TGHGt>Henry

Glover, who didn't survive after being shot by an unknown assailant.
Glover's brother flagged down a stranger for help, and the two men
brought Glover to a police station. But instead of receiving aid,
they were beaten by officers while Henry Glover bled to death in the
back seat of the stranger's car. A police officer drove off in the
car soon afterward.  Both Glover's body and the car were found burnt
to cinders a week later. It took DNA analysis to identify the body.

Then there's the story of White militiamen who tried to drive their
Black neighbors from their homes. Reggie Bell, who lived just two
blocks down the street from the vigilantes' ringleader, was told at
gunpoint, "We don't want you around here. You loot, we shoot." Later,
another group of armed White men confronted him at his home, asking,
"Whatcha still doing around here? We don't want you around here. You
gotta go."

These are only a few of the stories of Black folks who were accosted
in Algiers Point, and you can read more in The Nation.   But unless
you
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=xYZlgFgceSVHIrFw3Vcnc38ZLn5TGHGt>speak

out, we may never learn the full extent of the violence. Journalists
have encountered a wall of silence on the part of the authorities.
The coroner had to be sued to turn over autopsy records.  When he
finally complied, the records were incomplete, with files on several
suspicious deaths suddenly empty.  The New Orleans police and the
District Attorney repeatedly refused to talk to journalists about
Algiers Point. And according to journalist A.C. Thompson, "the city
has in nearly every case refused to investigate or prosecute people
for assaults and murders committed in the wake of the storm."

The Nation's article is important, but it's just a start.  For more
than three years now, these racist criminals have by their own
admission gotten away with murder, while officials in New Orleans
have systematically evaded any kind of accountability.
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UU0ZsvL2aeU53eTLfHG91H8ZLn5TGHGt>We

have to demand it.

Please join us in
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=kcqtD%2BrCaaUjnRa65cbxQn8ZLn5TGHGt>calling

on state and federal officials to investigate these brutal attacks
and the conduct of Orleans Parish law enforcement agencies, and
please ask your friends and family to do the same.

Visit
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=XQGiqj5q12VMqsTAY8L%2B%2FH8ZLn5TGHGt>the

KIN website for more information.

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=QAtPGIwer48Pf8cW0%2BCEeX8ZLn5TGHGt>Click