Alberto Gonzales Considers Himself a 'Casualty of the War on Terror'

By Steve Benen, Washington Monthly

Posted on December 31, 2008, Printed on January 1, 2009

<http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/116531/>http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/116531/

Former Attorney General Alberto Gonzales left
office in disgrace 16 months ago, and has kept a
low profile since. His reputation has not
improved in the interim -- Gonzales has struggled
to find a law firm willing to hire him -- but at
least he hasn't said or done anything ridiculous
since his departure from public life.

Gonzales, however, is apparently interested in
some kind of comeback. The former A.G. is writing
a book about his tenure in the Bush
administration and chatted with the Wall Street
Journal about how mean everyone has been to him.

     "What is it that I did that is so
fundamentally wrong, that deserves this kind of
response to my service?" he said during an
interview Tuesday, offering his most extensive
comments since leaving government.

     During a lunch meeting two blocks from the
White House, where he served under his longtime
friend, President George W. Bush, Mr. Gonzales
said that "for some reason, I am portrayed as the
one who is evil in formulating policies that
people disagree with. I consider myself a
casualty, one of the many casualties of the war
on terror."

Is Gonzales really that confused about what he
did that was "so fundamentally wrong"? I suppose
he proved during multiple congressional hearings
that his memory is similar to that of someone
who's suffered serious head trauma, but Gonzales'
list of scandals is hard to forget.

Just off the top of my head, there was the U.S.
Attorney purge scandal, Gonzales signing torture
memos, his conduct in John Ashcroft's hospital
room, his oversight of a Justice Department that
was engaged in widespread employment
discrimination, and his gutting of the DoJ's
Civil Rights Division. Gonzales was even
investigated by the department's Inspector
General on allegations of perjury and obstruction.

On warrantless-searches, the Military Commissions
Act, policy on detainees at Guantanamo Bay, and
the Geneva Conventions, Gonzales was a disaster.
On managing the Justice Department, he filled his
staff with Pat Robertson acolytes, feigned
ignorance while structural disasters unfolded,
and showed shocking tolerance for corruption and
politicization of a department that, for the
benefit of the nation and the rule of law, needed
to maintain independence.

Andrew Cohen, the editor and chief legal analyst
for CBS News, wrote a primer last year that
Gonzales may want to reference to help refresh
his memory.

     By any reasonable standard, the Gonzales Era
at the Justice Department is void of almost all
redemptive qualities. He brought shame and
disgrace to the Department because of his lack of
independent judgment on some of the most vital
legal issues of our time. And he brought chaos
and confusion to the department because of his
lack of respectable leadership over a
cabinet-level department among the most important
in the nation.

     He neither served the longstanding role as
"the people's attorney" nor fully met and tamed
his duties and responsibilities to the
constitution. He was a man who got the job not
because he was supremely qualified or notably
well-respected among the leading legal lights of
our time, but because he had faithfully and with
blind obedience served President George W. Bush
for years in Texas (where he botched clemency
memos in death penalty cases) and then as White
House counsel (where he botched the nation's
legal policy on torture).

That Gonzales feels sorry for himself now seems
somehow predictable, but that doesn't make it any
less pathetic.

© 2009 Washington Monthly All rights reserved.
View this story online at:
<http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/116531/>http://www.alternet.org/bloggers/http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/116531/

Peace,
Liz

Liz Rich
lizrich...@aol.com

New year...new news. Be the first to know what is
making
<http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026>headlines.