Bush's Illegal Wiretaps Included Financial Data
January 23rd, 2009

<http://blog.locustfork.net/2009/01/23/bushs-illegal-wiretaps-included-illegal-financial-data/>http://blog.locustfork.net/2009/01/23/bushs-illegal-wiretaps-included-illegal-financial-data/

NSA whistleblower Russell Tice returned to
Countdown to explain how the Bush Administration
illegally added complete financial data for
people they illegally wiretapped.

Olbermann asked where the program came from, and
Tice guessed it was the remnants of Admiral John
Poindexter's "Total Information Awareness"
program, which was specifically prohibited by
Congress, and the Rumsfeld Department of Defense.

Olbermann also asked who had access to the
in-depth information about journalists and what
they did with it. Unfortunately Tice was fired
when he tried to figure that out.

But it doesn't take much imagination to answer:
Dick Cheney and Karl Rove had access and used it
for blackmail and character assassination. For a
perfect case study, just look at how they learned
Iraq critic Joe Wilson's wife worked at the CIA -
and how they leaked that information to try to
destroy him, according to Bob Fertik at
Democrats.com.

Whistleblower Levels Shocking Allegations at Bush's Spying Programs

By Liliana Segura, AlterNet
Posted on January 24, 2009, Printed on January 24, 2009
<http://www.alternet.org/story/122234/>http://www.alternet.org/story/122234/

On Jan. 21, former U.S. intelligence official
Russell Tice appeared on MSNBC's "Countdown with
Keith Olbermannn" and broke a sobering bit of
news that, sandwiched between Obama's
inauguration and sweeping executive orders, went
largely ignored by the media: Under the Bush
administration's notorious warrantless spying
program, not only did the NSA eavesdrop on
millions of Americans, it turns out it
specifically targeted "U.S. news organizations,
reporters and journalists."

As Olbermannn put it, "non-terrorist Americans, if you will."

"It has taken less than 24 hours after the Bush
presidency ended for a former analyst with the
National Security Agency to come forward to
reveal new allegations about how this nation was
spied on by its by its own government,"
Olbermannn said on Wednesday night.

"Russell Tice has already stood up for truth
before this evening as one source for the
revelation in 2005 by the New York Times that
President Bush was eavesdropping on American
citizens without warrants Š tonight, the next
chapter for Mr. Tice -- a chapter he feared to
reveal while George Bush occupied the Oval
Office."

The contents of the exclusive interview, if not
surprising, were chilling nonetheless. Tice, who
was fired from the NSA in May 2005, discussed how
part of his job had been to monitor information
flow among organizations that were expressly not
of interest, for the ostensible purpose of
flagging and filtering them out.

"Š In the world that I was in," he said, "(so) as
to not harpoon the wrong people Š we looked at
organizations, supposedly, so that we would not
target them. So that we knew where they were so
as not to have a problem with them." But, "what I
was finding out, though, is that collection on
those organizations was 24/7, you know, 365 days
a year -- and it made no sense."

Turns out it was a bait and switch, in
Olbermann's words, in which the "discard" pile
was actually the "save" pile.

Word of the interview made its way around the
blogosphere. Emptywheel's Marcy Wheeler
immediately
<http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2009/01/21/russell-tice-confirms-everything-weve-surmised-about-bushs-illegal-wiretap-program/>spelled

out some of the implications. "First, Tice's
description of the program confirms everything we
have surmised about the program," she wrote.

The program:

Established the means to collect all American communications.
Analyzed meta-data to select a smaller subset of communications to tap further.
Conducted human analysis of those messages.
That is, the Bush administration used meta-data
(things, like length of phone call, that have
nothing to do with terrorism) to pick which
communications to actually open and read, and
then they opened and read them.

And of course, everyone's communications --
everyone's -- were included in the totality of
communications that might be tapped.

Despite the fact that the NSA scandal has been
one of the biggest stories of the past few years,
the story made no headlines the next day,
including no mention in the New York Times, which
broke the spying story to begin with (albeit one
year after it first caught wind of it). In a week
that saw orders from the new Obama White House to
close Guantanamo and end the policy of torture,
perhaps it is not surprising that this interview
did not make headlines -- and indeed, as Wheeler
pointed out, the news here is merely a
confirmation of what others have long assumed.

But the implications bear repeating: Tice said,
despite the Bush administration's claims to the
contrary, "the National Security Agency had
access to all Americans' communications, faxes,
phone calls and their computer communications Š
and it didn't mater whether you were in Kansas in
the middle of the country and you never made any
Š foreign communications at all. They monitored
all communications."

Granted, not all the information was processed by
human hands. Sheer volume would make that
impossible. ("Americans tend to be a chatty
group," said Tice.) And while Tice said he was
not sure what had become of the information that
was gathered, he did say that it was probably
stored in a database, one that still exists today.

***

Olbermann points out this is not the first time
Tice has stuck his neck out to call out the
criminal activity of the Bush administration. On
Dec. 18, 2005, two days after the Times story was
published, Tice sent a letter to both the Senate
and House intelligence committees, in which he
characterized the NSA spying as akin to violating
a sacred oath:

"As a Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) officer, it
is continually drilled into us that the very
first law chiseled in the SIGINT equivalent of
the 10 Commandments (USSID-18) is that 'Thou
shall not spy on American persons without a court
order from FISA.' This law is continually drilled
into each NSA intelligence officer throughout his
or her career. The very people that lead the
National Security Agency have violated this holy
edict of SIGINT. ...

"In addition to knowing this fundamental
commandment of not violating the civil rights of
Americans, intelligence officers are required to
take an oath to protect the United States
Constitution from enemies both foreign and
domestic. It is with my oath as a U.S.
intelligence officer weighing heavy on my mind
that I wish to report to Congress acts that I
believe are unlawful and unconstitutional. The
freedom of the American people cannot be
protected when our constitutional liberties are
ignored and our nation has decayed into a police
state."

In subsequent interviews, including one on Jan.
3, 2006, with Amy Goodman of Democracy Now, Tice
repeatedly stressed the illegality of the
program, while also maintaining that he could
only say so much. "I don't want to walk out of
here and end up in an FBI interrogation room," he
told Goodman.

The backlash against Tice was harsh. He was
assailed by right-wing pundits, who called him
the real criminal. And others saw his coming
forward as suspect -- after all, he had been
officially fired, by his own account, not because
of his investigation of the wiretapping, but due
to an earlier controversy over his time at the
Defense Intelligence Agency in which he made
accusations about two FBI agents being possible
spies. Thus, he was seen as holding a grudge.

("What would you say to those who say you are
speaking out now simply because you are
disgruntled?" asked Goodman, to which Tice
replied: "Well, I guess that's a valid argument.
You know, I was fired. But, you know, I've kind
of held my tongue for a long time now, and
basically, you know, I have known these things
have been going on for a while Š whether you
think this is retaliation or not, I have
something important to tell Congress, and I think
they need to hear it.")

In the end, Tice's hopes that he could provide
testimony for Congress ultimately amounted to
very little.

***

The night after Tice broke news on "Countdown,"
he appeared on the program again, this time
followed by James Risen, a Pulitzer Prize-winning
New York Times reporter and the co-author (with
Eric Litchblau) of the NSA spying story. But
Risen was not there to discuss the spying program
from an expert perspective. He was there as one
of its possible targets.

Risen, who last year was subpoenaed by a federal
grand jury to try to get him to reveal his
confidential sources for his book, State of War:
The Secret History of the CIA and the Bush
Administration, told Keith Olbermann that
although he did not know which agency had him
under surveillance, "what I know for a fact is
that the Bush administration got my phone records
Š we know for a fact that they showed my phone
records to other people in the federal grand
jury, and we have asked the court to investigate
that."

Risen joins the ranks of other top reporters who
were reportedly spied on by the Bush
administration -- including CNN's Christiane
Amanpour and the New Yorker's Lawrence Wright --
but he says he believes that the point of the
program was not so much to intimidate journalists
who exposed questionable government policies --
"we have a large organization to support us Š
whistle-blowers don't have that" -- but rather
their sources. The effect, he said, is to
"frighten people in the government from talking Š
to have a chilling effect on potential
whistle-blowers in the government to make them
realize that there's a Big Brother out there that
will get them if they step out of line."

One such whistle-blower, who was recently
revealed to be the man who truly blew the lid off
the Bush administration's wiretapping program, is
former Department of Justice official Thomas
Tamm, a prime source of Eric Litchblau's. Tamm
was instrumental in breaking the story, and
although he has remained largely anonymous until
now, his life has been turned upside down ever
since. In a cover story for Newsweek last month,
<http://www.newsweek.com/id/174601/>"Is He a Hero
or a Criminal?", Michael Isikoff reported how
early one morning in August 2007, his house was
raided by 18 FBI agents who took his computer,
his kids' laptops, books, etc. Tamm's college-age
son, Terry, "was escorted downstairs, where, he
says, the agents arranged him, his younger sister
and his mother around the kitchen table and
questioned them about their father."

After the raid, Justice Department prosecutors
encouraged Tamm to plead guilty to a felony for
disclosing classified information -- an offer he
refused. More recently, Agent (Jason) Lawless, a
former prosecutor from Tennessee, has been
methodically tracking down Tamm's friends and
former colleagues. The agent and a partner have
asked questions about Tamm's associates and
political meetings he might have attended,
apparently looking for clues about his
motivations for going to the press, according to
three of those interviewed.

In the meantime, Tamm lives in a perpetual state
of limbo, uncertain whether he's going to be
arrested at any moment. He could be charged with
violating two laws, one concerning the disclosure
of information harmful to "the national defense,"
the other involving "communications
intelligence." Both carry penalties of up to 10
years in prison. "This has been devastating to
him," says Jeffrey Taylor, an old law-school
friend of Tamm's. "It's just been hanging over
his head for such a long time Š Sometimes Tom
will just zone out. It's like he goes off in a
special place. He's sort of consumed with this
because he doesn't know where it's going."

***

In its first week, the Obama administration has
been silent for now about cases like Tamm's or
Tice's. (Tice told Olbermann that he has
volunteered his service to the Obama team but
that "they never really utilized me.") Meanwhile,
Friday morning still saw little in the news about
the latest spying disclosures, apart from various
blog posts, a story on Wired's
<http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2009/01/nsa-whistlebl-1.html>newsblog
and pieces in scattered local and alternative
media. Among civil liberties organizations, even
groups like the ACLU and Amnesty International
have been (justifiably) focused on the news out
of the Obama camp regarding Guantanamo and have
not released statements on it.

But one thing remains clear: As we enter the
Obama era, there are many unanswered questions
about the full extent of the domestic spying that
took place under Bush, including whether it is
still going on. "The NSA has far greater
capability than it's ever made public," Risen
told Olbermann on Thursday night. Among its
endless list of things to do, the Obama
administration must take a close, hard look at
the NSA's activities -- activities that have
already led to heated dissent in the ranks of his
supporters who decried Obama's support for the
Protect America Act and his support, in the end,
on telecom immunity.

As far as what is already in the government's
hands, said Tice, "this [information] could sit
there for 10 years and then potentially it
marries up with something else, and 10 years from
now they get put on a no-fly list and they, of
course, won't have a clue why."

© 2009 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
View this story online at:
<http://www.alternet.org/story/122234/>http://www.alternet.org/story/122234/

Peace,
Liz