GROUPS REQUEST SPECIAL PROSECUTOR FOR BUSH, CHENEY, et alia

Organizations and individuals can add their names to this statement
at <http://prosecutebushcheney.org>http://prosecutebushcheney.org

Statement on Prosecution of Former High Officials

We urge Attorney General Eric Holder to appoint a non-partisan
independent Special Counsel to immediately commence a prosecutorial
investigation into the most serious alleged crimes of former
President George W. Bush, former Vice President Richard B. Cheney,
the attorneys formerly employed by the Department of Justice whose
memos sought to justify torture, and other former top officials of
the Bush Administration.

Our laws, and treaties that under Article VI of our Constitution are
the supreme law of the land, require the prosecution of crimes that
strong evidence suggests these individuals have committed. Both the
former president and the former vice president have confessed to
authorizing a torture procedure that is illegal under our law and
treaty obligations. The former president has confessed to violating
the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

We see no need for these prosecutions to be extraordinarily lengthy
or costly, and no need to wait for the recommendations of a panel or
"truth" commission when substantial evidence of the crimes is already
in the public domain. We believe the most effective investigation can
be conducted by a prosecutor, and we believe such an investigation
should begin immediately.

Drafted by The Robert Jackson Steering Committee
<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/robertjackson>http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/robertjackson

Signed By:

Center for Constitutional Rights
<http://www.ccrjustice.org>http://www.ccrjustice.org

The National Lawyers Guild
<http://www.nlg.org/>http://www.nlg.org

After Downing Street
<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org>http://www.afterdowningstreet.org

American Freedom Campaign
<http://www.americanfreedomcampaign.org>http://www.americanfreedomcampaign.org

Ann Wright, retired US Army Reserve Colonel and US diplomat
<http://www.voicesofconscience.com/>http://www.voicesofconscience.com

Backbone Campaign
<http://www.backbonecampaign.org>http://www.backbonecampaign.org

Brad Blog
<http://www.bradblog.com/>http://www.bradblog.com

Cities for Peace
<http://citiesforprogress.org/>http://citiesforprogress.org

CODE PINK: Women for Peace
<http://www.codepink4peace.org>http://www.codepink4peace.org

Daniel Ellsberg, Truth-Telling Project
<http://www.ellsberg.net/>http://www.ellsberg.net

Defending Dissent Foundation
<http://www.defendingdissent.org/>http://www.defendingdissent.org

Delaware Valley Veterans for America
<http://www.delvalvets4america.org>http://www.delvalvets4america.org

Democrats.com
<http://www.democrats.com/>http://www.democrats.com

Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space
<http://www.space4peace.org/>http://www.space4peace.org

Gold Star Families for Peace
<http://www.cindysheehanssoapbox.com/>http://www.cindysheehanssoapbox.com

Grandmothers Against the War
<http://www.grandmothersforpeace.org/gatw>http://www.grandmothersforpeace.org/gatw

Grassroots America
<http://www.grassrootsamerica4us.org/>http://www.grassrootsamerica4us.org

High Road for Human Rights Advocacy Project
<http://www.highroadforhumanrights.org>http://www.highroadforhumanrights.org

Iraq Veterans Against the War
<http://ivaw.org/>http://ivaw.org

Justice Through Music
<http://www.jtmp.org>http://www.jtmp.org

Marcus Raskin, co-founder of Institute for Policy Studies, member of
editorial board of the /Nation/, member of the special staff of the
National Security Council in the Kennedy Administration

Media Freedom Foundation/Project Censored
<http://www.projectcensored.org/>http://www.projectcensored.org

Naomi Wolf, author of /End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young
Patriot/, and /Give Me Liberty: A Handbook for American
Revolutionaries/
<http://naomiwolf.org/>http://naomiwolf.org

National Accountability Network

Northeast Impeachment Coalition
<http://www.neimpeach.org/wp/>http://www.neimpeach.org/wp

Op Ed News
<http://www.opednews.com/>http://www.opednews.com

Peace Action
<http://www.peace-action.org/>http://www.peace-action.org

Peace Team
<http://www.peaceteam.net/>http://www.peaceteam.net

The Progressive
<http://www.progressive.org/>http://www.progressive.org

Progressive Democrats of America
<http://www.pdamerica.org/>http://www.pdamerica.org

Republicans for Impeachment
<http://republicansforimpeachment.com/>http://republicansforimpeachment.com

United for Peace and Justice
<http://www.unitedforpeace.org/>http://www.unitedforpeace.org

Velvet Revolution
<http://www.velvetrevolution.us/>http://www.velvetrevolution.us

Veteran Intelligence Professionals for Sanity
<http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/vips>http://www.afterdowningstreet.org/vips

Veterans for Peace
<http://www.veteransforpeace.org/>http://www.veteransforpeace.org

Voters for Peace
<http://votersforpeace.us/index2.php>http://votersforpeace.us/index2.php

War Crimes Times
<http://www.warcrimestimes.org/>http://www.warcrimestimes.org

Wisconsin Impeachment/Bring Our Troops Home Coalition
<http://www.impeachwi.com>http://www.impeachwi.com

World Can't Wait
<http://www.worldcantwait.net>http://www.worldcantwait.net

--
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Times} p.p2
{margin: 0.0px 0.0px 12.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Times; min-height:

David Swanson is the author of the upcoming book "Daybreak: Undoing
the Imperial Presidency and Forming a More Perfect Union" by Seven
Stories Press and of the introduction to "The 35 Articles of
Impeachment and the Case for Prosecuting George W. Bush" published by
Feral House and available at Amazon.com.  Swanson holds a master's
degree in philosophy from the University of Virginia. He has worked
as a newspaper reporter and as a communications director, with jobs
including press secretary for Dennis Kucinich's 2004 presidential
campaign, media coordinator for the International Labor
Communications Association, and three years as communications
coordinator for ACORN, the Association of Community Organizations for
Reform Now. Swanson is Co-Founder of AfterDowningStreet.org, creator
of ConvictBushCheney.org and Washington Director of Democrats.com, a
board member of Progressive Democrats of America, the Backbone
Campaign, and Voters for Peace, a convenor of the legislative working
group of United for Peace and Justice, and chair of the
accountability and prosecution working group of United for Peace and
Justice.

To receive updates from After Downing Street register at

<http://afterdowningstreet.org/user/register>http://afterdowningstreet.org/user/register

To subscribe to other lists go to

<http://davidswanson.org/node/921>http://davidswanson.org/node/921