This is from my friend James Strait, an
independent tending toward conservatism.
He's responding to the piece by Heather Gerken, sent out earlier (and which I
headed, "Hey, social scientists--WAKE UP!").

MCM

We sooo need to get back to basics...

Mark, while you may choose to disagree, you and I
have observations that run parallel more often
than divergent. The first time I took notice of
you was when you promoted your twelve steps to
elections integrity. I had been stating eleven of
those steps on the radio for at least a year
prior. For me, your voice is meaningful in the EI
movement because you have seen through, around,
and beyond the chaos...as I believe I do.

You and I have been able, I believe, to
promote simplified and logical elections
structure because we referenced guiding star
concepts. The problem within the EI grassroots as
a whole is that they are swept up in countless
skirmishes that occupy their focus and prevents
them from stepping back and creating on their
own. The EI community is always counter
punching...when they should to be on the attack.
But ya gotta know what you believe to formulate
an effective offense.

No meaningful elections reform can take place if
those seeking such act without belief in
foundational precepts. Precepts that once
converted into law will withstand the test of
centuries because of their sound logic.

I see it every day, have conversations about it
every day, and like Bev Harris rightly points
out...the EI movement is on a hamster wheel. I
believe the hamster wheel is fueled by the lack
of concensus amongst our own. The goal as I see
it is to find a mechanism to bring about common
agreement within the EI world that conforms to
your and my elections structure.

Machines, software, and all esoteric voting
methods and procedures are forever incompatable
with transparency of process. Transparency being
defined as a process where the average literate
voting citizen may be randomly culled from the
population and then be able to perform any
function within the elections process.

That is my standard...and it is a hard sell
because it is simple. Modern people have come to
believe that sophisticated equals complex and
shiny, when in reality elegant processes
are always a function of accomplishing specified
work with the fewest actions.

Can the EI world embrace elegant thinking?
Honestly, I'm dubious. But unless they/we do,
then we are doomed to see an inscrutable
elections future, at the peril of orginal intent
democracy.

Jim

James Strait
<http://www.straittalks.com/>www.straittalks.com
<http://www.weirdmissouri.com/>www.weirdmissouri.com
<http://www.wifi1460am.com/>www.wifi1460AM.com
<http://www.wnjc1360.com/>www.wnjc1360.com
<http://www.voiceofthevoters.com/>www.VoiceoftheVoters.com

"It would be bitter irony to own a transparent
vote, to then choose from only the moneyed elite"