Observers Shut Out of Pima Recount

Attorney General's "criminal investigation"
procedures break ballot custody and make
meaningful public observation impossible

RTA Recount Situation Report: 3:00 p.m. Monday April 6th
(aka: "The Official Chronicles Of The Bored To Tears, Part One")
by Jim March

<http://electiondefensealliance.org/Observers_Shut_Out_of_Pima_Recount>http://electiondefensealliance.org/Observers_Shut_Out_of_Pima_Recount

A total hand-recount of what are alleged to be
the ballots voted in the 2006 Pima County
Regional Transportation Authority (RTA) bond
measure election is being conducted as I write.

Eight teams of three people each (all Maricopa
Elections Division employees) are doing the "sort
and stack" method to pile ballots in three piles
for each ballot question. It's impossible to
overstate how tightly the information flow is
controlled here, or how "nontransparent" the
process is.

  The "short form" is that the preliminary counts
are matching the official final totals from 2006,
in broad strokes.

"Ballot forensics" is going to be a factor here,
and the chain of custody of these ballots (read:
could they be fake?) is open to serious question.

Background

For those just joining us: This bond measure of
May 2006 involved $2 billion worth of
transportation contracts, which in turn affected
"housing boom" issues.  We now know there was a
ton of fraud in the late lamented real estate
boom; the question now is, was there also fraud
in setting the preconditions for that boom, such
as the RTA bond measure?

There are a number of reasons to suspect the RTA
race was rigged.  In brief:  The audit logs
looked very funky; similar bond measures had
failed repeatedly in years past; Pima elections
officials had illegally "peeked" into early
voting results by printing tallies of the
scanned-in mail-in ballots; the election
department's chief systems operator was spotted
referring to a Microsoft Access advanced
programmer's manual while using the Diebold
central tabulator; and much more.1 (See
<http://www.electiondefensealliance.org/insider_election_fraud_pima_arizona>preceding

articles documenting this investigation).
Long-distance photo taken through a window with optical zoom, by Jim March

Red circles indicate voters' marked ballot selections.

  AZ Attorney General Terry Goddard finally took a
serious role by declaring the hand-count.  But
the way he handled it violated every standard
possible in election transparency, and continues
to do so.

Goddard will tell you that he doesn't need to be
transparent at all because this isn't an
election-related recount.  He's partially right:
this recount is connected to a criminal
investigation aimed at the people who run
elections in Pima County.

But the problem is, in order to treat these
ballots the same way he would if, say, he raided
the documents inside a crooked bank, he has to
take sole control over the very engine of
Democracy.  He's set himself up to be the sole
judge of what the people's will was in a real
election.

No one person can ever be allowed to take that
control with zero oversight or observation.  It
leads to horrible dark places.  Governments have
murdered literally millions of people in order to
gain that kind of sole control.2  When a single
government official takes control over the
processing of election information, even in this
kind of situation, it's a step towards literal
hell on earth.

So What Has AG Goddard Done?

1.    Over a month ago Goddard seized control
over the ballots, taking them to points unknown
and storing them in unknown conditions with zero
oversight from any other government body,
political parties or citizen observers.  We still
don't know where they "vacationed".

2.    They're now being counted by the Maricopa
elections office in conditions designed to
prevent observation -- most particularly
preventing any independent counts of the vote
totals.

These conditions include:

   a.   The AG's office told political parties to
provide the names of three observers able to
spent a week in Phoenix (120+ miles from Pima
County) -- and then the AG's office would pick
the final participant.  In the case of the
Democrats, they picked a retiree in his '70s over
a younger lawyer with elections law experience.
Fortunately the retiree is a very competent gent,
but . . . he's not a lawyer.  The Libertarians
submitted just one name (mine) and the AG's
office rejected me on "security" grounds citing
the wrongful arrest I was subjected to in San
Diego County, CA in 2005 -- never mind that all
charges were rapidly dropped and changes to
observation procedures were instituted statewide
in direct response to my action.  So the game is:
Keep out as many knowledgeable observers as
possible.

   b.  The observers in the room aren't allowed
any pens or pencils or any electronic note-taking
gear.  Mind you, this is a 100% hand count;
electronic manipulation of people's brains is
pretty unlikely.

   c.  Every kind of mobile communication device
is barred from the main counting area.  I was
stripped of my cellular modem.  They don't want
rapid Internet broadcasts of news on this event.
(But they can't stop me from collecting news,
leaving the area, and broadcasting from the
parking lot).

   d.  Tables are aligned sideways to the viewing
windows to make it hard to collect tallies with
our various zoom lenses and spotting scopes.

The Microscope Fiasco

I have with me a good lab-grade microscope.  I've
previously proven that 2006-era paper ballots
(printed on offset printers) can be distinguished
from more recent 1200dpi laser printed ballots
under a microscope.  The bureaucrat running this
thing (Donald Conrad, criminal division counsel
in the AZ AG's office) told me he would not
discuss forensics of ballots at all, or allow the
microscope to be used in any fashion by anyone.

Ballot forensics is going to matter because there
a number of ways forged fake ballots could have
been inserted into the stack post-election.  The
good news is that we have Email traffic between
Pima Elections and the ballot printing shop
ordering the extra ballots from the RTA election
destroyed just over a month post-election - long
before significant controversy erupted.  So it
seems unlikely that either Pima Elections or
Runbeck stashed away the 24,000-plus blank
ballots that would be needed to swing the
election.

A more likely approach to fake ballot generation
is the high-end Okidata laser printer first
demoed for "ballot on demand" purposes in 2007.
This taught both Pima and Maricopa elections
offices that they could build their own illicit
ballot printing station for a bit over $6k, small
enough to fit in a closet.  Or just rent the
regular "ballot on demand" system and subvert it
to print extra ballots.3

Even the best laser printers scatter microscopic
toner particles around their target printing
areas.  The effect is obvious under a good scope.

Conclusion

Will Goddard's office do any real forensics,
along with other obvious checks such as measuring
the age of the inks?

There's no way to know; Goddard has taken sole control over the investigation.

He will thus personally decide how well democracy
worked.  And that's a problem.

=================

Jim March, working the Pima case with EDA
Investigator John Brakey, is a member of the
board of directors of BlackBoxVoting.org, a
member of the Arizona Libertarian Party election
integrity committee and...sigh...more. You get
the idea :).  E-mail Jim at
<mailto:1.jim.ma...@gmail.com>this address

Notes:

1. Diebold's election databases look secure, but
once you open them in MS-Access all security
vanishes.  This is a known issue and MS-Access is
NOT a certified election system product anywhere
in the US.  In short, this was BAD.

2. It's possible to get a somewhat realistic
estimate of how many murders by individuals have
happened in the 20th century.  Even the most
wildly pessimistic numbers are dwarfed by the
lowest possible estimates of murders committed by
governments.  The nations of the USSR, China,
Germany and Japan alone racked up a murder rate
at least rivaling private-citizen-committed
murders for the whole century, and that's without
counting killings as part of war.

3. Easy enough: While the computer Runbeck
supplies controls access to ballots, it can be
disconnected and the printer run independently
from any PC with the ballot image PDF files on it.

<http://electiondefensealliance.org/Pima_fraud_coverup>Ð
Judge Abets Coverup of Suspect Pima Election
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/insider_election_fraud_pima_arizona>up
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/RTA_Relief_Denied>Court
Denies Relief in AZ Election Fraud Case ð
»

<http://electiondefensealliance.org/add/book?parent=1435>Add child page
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/book/export/html/1694>Printer-friendly
version
16 reads
<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>
EDA News RSS Feed

<http://electiondefensealliance.org/rss.xml>
Bookmark/Share This Page!

<http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php>

Subscribe to EDA Newslist

Email:

<http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs020/1101317662862/archive/1101925349460.html>
<http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs020/1101317662862/archive/1101925349460.html>View

Our Archived
<http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs020/1101317662862/archive/1101925349460.html>News

& Alerts

<https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=28156>

Contributions are Tax-Deductible

Universal Ballot Sample

UBS verification protocol ends "faith-based"voting

10,000-election simulation proves effectiveness of UBS verification system.

<http://www.electiondefensealliance.org/upspr>See the Press Release

<http://www.electiondefensealliance.org/files/New_UBS_811Update_061707.pdf>Read
the Report

Get Informed with EDA TV
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/edatv>

<http://eda-tv.blip.tv>http://eda-tv.blip.tv

Witness to a Crime

"Irrefutable Evidence' that Bush/Cheney stole
Ohio in '04 " -- Robert F. Kennedy, Jr.

<http://electiondefensealliance.org/witness_crime_donation_premium>Get
the $30 book free with your $75 tax-deductible
donation to EDA

Recent blog posts

<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2009/03/site_upgrade_status>Site
Upgrade Status
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2009/02/next_round_web_site_updates_scheduled>Next

Round of Web Site Updates Scheduled
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2009/02/web_site_upgrades_planned>Web
Site Upgrades Planned
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/RobGeorgia_Ver2008>"Rob
Georgia" Version 2008?
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2008/10/michigan_voter_purge_ruled_illegal>Judge

Rules Michigan Voter Purge Program Violates
Federal Law
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2008/10/vote_flipping_sounds_user_problem>Machine

Flipped Your Vote? Sounds Like a "User Problem"
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2008/09/reverse_mississippis_deliberate_ballot_design_manipulation>Reverse

Mississippi's Deliberate Ballot Design
Manipulation
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2008/09/john_brakey_arrested>John
Brakey Arrested While Officially Observing Count
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2008/08/scientific_american_assesses_e_voting_risks_and_costs>Scientific

American Assesses E-voting Risks and Costs
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/2008/08/suit_filed_enforce_ballot_security_san_diego_november_election>Suit

Filed to Enforce Ballot Security for November
Election
<http://electiondefensealliance.org/blog>more

Honest Elections: Priceless....but defending them isn't

Please Invest in Election Integrity.

<https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=28156>Contribute to EDA.

EDA Coordinators are highly-motivated
volunteers defending free elections for all.

But we do need some full-time staff to
keep EDA on call at all times -- and they need a living wage to do it.

Your donations are needed for:

EDA staff support
Website and phone costs
Media messaging
Printing costs

<https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=28156>Please
Click Here to Contribute

Special Offer!

Make a tax-deductible
<https://secure.groundspring.org/dn/index.php?aid=28156>premium
donation of $50 or more and receive a copy of
<http://www.electiondefensealliance.org/book_order_2004_stolen>Was
The 2004 Presidential Election Stolen? by Steven
Freeman and Joel Bleifuss.

<http://www.nten.org>
All content on this site © 2006 by each individual author, All Rights Reserved.

Election Defense Alliance is a program of
International Humanities Center, a nonprofit
organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the IRS
Code.

<http://www.electiondefensealliance.org/fairuse>Fair
Use Policy | Original Site created by
<http://www.nu-look.net>Jenni Simonis