Obama's Top Economic Adviser Is Greedy and Highly Compromised
By Matt Taibbi, True/Slant
Posted on April 10, 2009, Printed on April 10, 2009
http://www.alternet.org/story/136008/

"But Summers, a leading architect of the
administration's economic policies and response
to the global recession, appears to have
collected the most income. Financial institutions
including JP Morgan, Citigroup, Goldman Sachs,
Lehman Brothers and Merrill Lynch paid Summers
for speaking appearances in 2008. Fees ranged
from $45,000 for a Nov. 12 Merrill Lynch
appearance to $135,000 for an April 16 visit to
Goldman Sachs, according to his disclosure form."
-- Washingtonpost.com

So I guess that $45,000 speaking fee from Merrill
Lynch wasn't technically a bribe because Summers
wasn't named to Obama's economic transition team
until Nov. 24 - a full 12 days later. I'm sure
Larry Summers had absolutely no inkling
whatsoever that he was going to be one of the key
advisers to the new administration on Nov. 12.

It likewise makes perfect sense that Merrill
Lynch, a company just months removed from having
to be rescued from bankruptcy by an 11th-hour,
pseudo-state-subsidized buyout by Bank of
America, would decide to spend $45,000 on a
speaking appearance by Summers because, well,
they really valued his economic expertise and his
proven ability to rally the troops with his
stirring rhetoric.

It certainly had nothing to do with the fact that
a) it was eight days after a Democrat was elected
to the presidency; b) Summers had a long history
of being one of the key policymakers in
Democratic Party politics; and c) Merrill was
absolutely not going to survive more than a few
more months unless taxpayers forked over another
20 billion or so to cover the giant hole in
Merrill's balance sheet that was, at that time,
still being hidden from Bank of America and its
shareholders.

And how about that $135,000 appearance for
Goldman Sachs in April, when Summers was already
involved with Democratic Party politics again?
That wasn't a surreptitious campaign contribution
at all!

But you have to give Goldman credit: it sure is
thorough. It literally leaves no stone unturned.

One has to love the sequence of events here. Back
in 2004, Goldman chief Hank Paulson goes to SEC
chief William Donaldson and petitions to have
lending restrictions relaxed for the top five
investment banks. Donaldson rolls over, the
restrictions are relaxed, and it's a disaster, as
the top five banks immediately overleverage
themselves - two of the five, Bear Stearns and
Lehman, would actually collapse, at least
partially as a result of being insanely
overleveraged.

In the midst of this disaster, Paulson is named
Treasury secretary. He does nothing about the
worsening financial crisis until it is far too
late, then allows one of Goldman's biggest
competitors, Lehman, to fail while at the same
time intervening on a huge scale to save AIG,
which just happens to owe Goldman a ton of money.

When AIG is bailed out, its government regulator
is not in the room, but the new chief of Goldman,
Lloyd Blankfein, is. In fact, Goldman Sachs
ultimately receives about $13 billion of the
money paid to AIG by the government in the
bailout, reportedly getting paid 100 cents on the
dollar for its AIG exposure, despite the fact
that the bank claimed it wasn't going to suffer
severe losses if AIG collapsed.

Later, another former Goldman executive, Ed
Liddy, is installed as head of AIG -- which just
happens to get bailed out twice more, the last
time to the tune of $30 billion.

The last two bailouts of AIG take place after a
former Goldman chief, Robert Rubin (who,
incidentally, helped start this mess by ramming
through a series of i-banker wet-dream
deregulatory moves as Treasury secretary for
Clinton in the 1990s), is named to the Obama
transition team, joining Summers (who had already
taken $135,000 from Goldman that year) and
Timothy Geithner (a protege of another Goldman
alum, John Thain, former president and chief
operating officer and notorious scumbag).

When it comes time for new Treasury Secretary
Geithner to name a chief of staff, he chooses
Mark Patterson, who is less than a year removed
from working as a lobbyist for Š Goldman Sachs.
Patterson's great contribution to society as a
Goldman lobbyist was opposing a 2007 measure
introduced in the Senate by presidential
candidate Barack Obama to rein in executive
compensation.

I remember watching Obama the presidential
candidate give a speech in Mason City, Iowa, in
2007. Obama had made a big show of not having
registered lobbyists working for his campaign,
and he promised that lobbyists "won't work in my
White House." The line was a hit and became part
of Obama's stump speech. I must have heard it two
dozen times.

A little over a year later, he put a registered
lobbyist of a bailed-out investment bank into a
job whose primary responsibility is administering
bailout money.

It gets worse. According to a Glenn Greenwald
piece I just read, even Gary Gensler is a former
Goldman employee. That absolutely blows my mind.
Genlser is Obama's choice to head the Commodities
Futures Trading Commission, whose purview is the
derivatives market. The CFTC was the battleground
where ages ago Rubin, Summers, and then-Rubin
aide Gensler teamed up to whack CFTC chief
Brooksley Born, who had serious concerns about
the burgeoning derivatives market, in particular
the credit-default swap market. Rubin overturned
Born's recommendations, and derivatives were
freed from most regulation. That economic Alamo
led almost directly to the AIG disaster.

Think about this for a moment. A former Goldman
chief, Rubin, presses the CFTC to deregulate a
type of derivative contract whose chief benefit
to an investment bank like Goldman is that it
allows it to lend more -- the CDS being most
useful as a tool to move investment risk off a
bank's balance sheet.

Then another Goldman chief, Paulson, pushes for
further relaxation of lending limits. Then
Goldman jumps head first into the housing bubble,
buying tens of billions in CDS protection to
hedge its crazy investments. This massive
explosion in lending by banks like Goldman,
fueled in part by the use of derivatives like CDS
and fueled still more by the 2004 change in
rules, puts an enormous strain on the economy,
leading to giant holes blown in its hull by the
end of 2007 and on through 2008.

It follows that when Goldman's chief partner in
those CDS deals, AIG, collapses as part of this
wave of crashes, Paulson - now Treasury secretary
- rushes to the rescue, pumping billions in
taxpayer money into AIG that is quickly funneled
to Goldman. Then a Goldman alum is put in charge
of AIG, while another bunch of Goldman alums
funnels still more bailout money to AIG, and yet
another Goldman alum is put in charge of
regulating the derivatives market that is the
focus of most of the bailout efforts.

In the midst of all of this, something amazing
happens. Goldman Sachs, along with Bank of
America, Morgan Stanley and a host of other
"troubled" banks, reports a profit for its first
quarter in 2009! How and why that happened is
another fascinating story, for another time. For
now, the only thing to remember is that all the
ones who got us into this mess - Rubin, Summers,
Goldman in general - are now being put in charge
of the cleanup by a president who spent most of
18 months on the campaign trail pledging to end
the influence of money in politics.

Add this to the obscene giveaway that is the
toxic assets program Geithner has just devised
(Goldman Sachs "expressed interest in
participating in the plan as an investor,"
according to the Wall Street Journal), and you
have an amazing situation. Between the Bush and
Obama administrations, you have a bailout program
that has now figured three ways to funnel money
to Goldman Sachs: via AIG, via TARP and now via
this trillion-dollar "public-private investment
program," which basically lends huge amounts of
money to investors and provides guarantees
against heavy losses. It's free money,
state-subsidized profiteering at its most naked.

I hear all the time from people who complain that
it's naive to wonder why we put Wall Street
executives in charge of policing Wall Street --
that this is actually quite a sensible policy,
because we need people with experience in that
world making these decisions.

The reason people say this has nothing to do with
reality and everything to do with the fact that
the financial markets are intimidatingly complex.
When Enron buys a seat at the table to conduct
energy policy under the Bush administration,
everyone knows what that is. When Reagan hires
notorious union busters to run the National Labor
Relations Board, everyone knows what that is. And
when we hire investment bankers to run banking
policy, and put investment bankers in charge of
handing out bailout money to investment banks, we
ought to know what that is. But for some reason
we don't seem to see it the same way, not as
clearly.

In my mind this officially ends the Obama
honeymoon. I can maybe see one or two of these
creeps in key positions. But this many -- it's an
undeniable pattern. He put William Lynn, a former
Raytheon lobbyist, in the Pentagon as deputy
defense secretary. A lot of people squawked about
Obama's early lean toward John Brennan as CIA
director because of his role in establishing the
"enhanced interrogation" policies, but to me more
significant was the fact that Brennan was the
former chairman of the Intelligence and National
Security Alliance, which is sort of like the
chamber of commerce of intelligence contractors.

Most importantly, I'm sensing in these economic
appointments a kind of drearily cynical parsing
of the approval-ratings situation -- Obama knows
he's still flying high with the "Yes We Can!"
T-shirt crowd and knows that most people simply
are not going to give a shit if he packs his
Treasury Department with Goldman alums and
lobbyists, despite the fact that he explicitly
promised to do otherwise.

Matt Taibbi is a writer for Rolling Stone.
© 2009 True/Slant All rights reserved.
View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/136008/