From Joel Schlemowitz:

Support Our Union!   Support Parsons Fine Art Faculty!

When: Thursday, April 23, 12-1 pm
Where: Directly in front of the New School administration building at 66
West 12th Street (between 5th and 6th Avenues, New York City)

What: ACT-UAW Local 7902, the union of part-time faculty at NYU and the
New School, will sponsor a rally protesting mass dismissals of arts
faculty at Parsons the New School for Design. In light of Interim
Provost Tim Marshall's comment that the Parsons situation is "very
typical of what happens in the school every single semester, all the
time, all over the place," the event will also highlight a range of
administration actions targeting part-timers across the university.

This is a critical time for part-time faculty at the New School, with
negotiations looming in advance of our contract's expiration on
September 1. Come out! Bring your faculty friends, your artist friends,
your neighbors, your kids! Make a sign! Blow a whistle!

Send Fine Art Chair Coco Fusco, Provost Tim Marshall, and President Bob
Kerrey a Message They Can't Ignore!
See the attached statement for further background on the dismissals of
Fine Art faculty.
For more information, call the union office at 212-432-2120.

=====================

ACT-UAW LOCAL 7902 STATEMENT ON FACULTY DISMISSALS IN PARSONS FINE ART

On March 10, a dozen part-time faculty members in the Fine Art
Department at Parsons the New School for Design received notice that
their teaching contracts will not be renewed for fall 2009. ACT-UAW
Local 7902 protests this unjust action and deplores the administrative
mentality it represents. The union has filed a number of grievances
related to the dismissals, but contract violations are only part of the
problem.

Administrators are trying to hide behind a smoke screen of "curricular
change" and other management priorities to justify what amounts to the
decimation of a department and the devastation of a faculty. This is
both ethically wrong and institutionally counter-productive. It is
needlessly cruel to hard-working faculty members at a time of terrible
economic insecurity. It is also a terrible management decision, one that
plays havoc with students' need for a stable, experienced faculty and a
robust curriculum in subjects such as painting and drawing. It has set
alarm bells ringing in the wider arts community, generating numerous
statements of support for the Fine Art faculty and condemnation of the
administration's actions from cultural institutions in New York and
beyond.

At a critical time for labor locally and nationally, this inflammatory
move strikes a blow at our entire membership as we head into contract
negotiations, with our current contract set to expire on September 1,
2009. Unfortunately, there is considerable truth in Interim Provost Tim
Marshall's remark to a New York Times reporter that these dismissals are
"very typical of what happens in the school every single semester, all
the time, all over the place." The Provost's comment, and the dismissals
themselves, signal all New School part-timers (89% of the total
university faculty) that we are viewed by the administration as
expendable. Apparently our talents, experience, and past contributions
count for nothing in the face of corporate-style "innovation" from
above. We view this attitude as part and parcel of the problems that led
to the December, 2008 New School faculty vote of "no confidence" in the
administration of President Bob Kerrey.

We call on Coco Fusco, the Chair of the Parsons Fine Art Department, to
make a course correction and re-appoint the affected faculty. We call on
Provost Marshall and the Deans to embrace a model of change that
includes substantive involvement of all sectors of the faculty,
part-time and full-time, in the planning process. We call on President
Kerrey to honor his recent commitment to accord part-time faculty a
meaningful voice in decisions affecting curriculum. By drawing on the
creativity and capacity for innovation of proven facultycan--and
must--break exciting new ground while preserving successful
programs' existing strengths so as not to short-change our students.

Artnet News April 3, 2009
"Art Faculty Purge At Parsons The New School?"
http://www.artnet.com/magazineus/news/artnetnews/artnetnews4-3-09.asp

New York Times April 4, 2009
"Parsons Faculty Is Cut Amid Protests by Artists"
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/arts/design/04pars.html?em