Hi, Mark:

Please feel free to pass this announcement along to anyone you know
in (or even outside) the DC area. Thanks.

Best, Mike
<file://www.kansaspress.ku.edu>www.kansaspress.ku.edu

PS: Here's a good description and cover image of John's book:
<file://www.kansaspress.ku.edu/pravie.html>www.kansaspress.ku.edu/pravie.html.

The Johns Hopkins University
Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
Southeast Asia Studies
Presents

A Book Discussion on

Vietnam: The History of an Unwinnable War, 1945-1975
by John Prados

John Prados
Senior Fellow, National Security Archive
George Washington University

Discussants:
Dale Andrade
Senior Historian, U.S. Army Center of Military History
Author of America's Last Vietnam Battle: Halting Hanoi's 1972 Easter Offensive

Bernard Kalb
Former Television Network Journalist

The Vietnam war continues to generate intense controversy. While most
people agree that the United States did not win the war, a vocal
minority ask why "victory" never came, attributing our defeat to
everything from domestic politics to the press. Our military never
lost a battle--how then did it not win the war? John Prados takes a
fresh look at both the war and the debates about it to produce a
reassessment of one our nation's most tragic episodes. His book draws
upon several decades of research, including recently declassified
documents, newly available presidential tapes, and a wide range of
Vietnamese and
other international sources.

Tuesday, April 28th, 2009
6:00 PM