Just before Election Day, I debated one of Diaz de la Portilla's
brothers, a lawyer working
for the GOP. It was on Al Jazeera, whose gigantic Middle Eastern
audience could not possibly
have grasped the truth re: Florida's elections, because my
adversary's every statement was a whopping lie, and I had little time
to nail them properly. He lied with the belligerent vigor of
a true believer (the brothers' parents are right-wing Cuban exiles),
so he was either lying for
the Greater Good (as he imagines it) or, in his own mind, not lying.

In any case, it's interesting to note that his top talking-point was
that the electoral process
had been going swimmingly in Florida--no problem! This despite the
(usual) news of
long, long lines in Democratic precincts, due to systematic shortages
and machine breakdowns:
five-hour waits for (would-be) voters in Miami-Dade, six-hour waits
for (would-be) voters
in Ft. Lauderdale (where they ran out of paper ballots), seven
op-scan machines kaput in
Duval County, and so on. None of this made any difference to Diaz de
la Portilla, who just
kept saying that all was well at Florida's polls.

I guess that wasn't really true; for now his brother Alex, a state
senator, has come out with
this sweeping plan for the "reform" of Florida's elections--a plan
that's clearly meant  to
make it harder for all non-Republicans to vote, as critics have observed.

Such fake "reform"--advanced by liberals and conservatives--will keep
on getting
serious attention, until we can break through with some hard truths
about what's really
happened to American elections, and what's really needed to reform
them. Certainly it won't
be easy--perhaps it isn't even possible--but our only option is to
try, and keep on trying.

MCM

Overhaul of Florida Voting Rules Is Proposed

By
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/f/gary_fineout/index.html?inline=nyt-per>GARY

FINEOUT
Published: April 15, 2009

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/16/us/16florida.html

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Republican lawmakers, who control both houses of
the Legislature, have proposed sweeping changes to the state's
election laws, including new procedures on registering voters, and
requiring voters to use a provisional ballot if they move shortly
before an election.

The rules would also prevent anyone, including those with video or
audio equipment, from getting within 100 feet of a line of voters,
even if that line is outside a polling place. This would also prevent
anyone from offering legal advice to voters in line.

State Senator Alex Diaz de la Portilla, a Republican from Miami and
sponsor of the legislation, said the changes were a response to
complaints and problems in the 2008 elections.

"We see where there were flaws, where there were holes that have to
be filled," Mr. Diaz de la Portilla said.

The legislation, for example, would bar election supervisors from
placing anything on the envelope of absentee ballots that lists a
voter's party affiliation. It would also give state election
officials the ability to call for a recount and set new standards for
audits of voting machines.

Mr. Diaz de la Portilla said nothing in the legislation was intended
to benefit "any particular political party."

But voting rights groups were critical of the legislation, as were
Democratic lawmakers.

"We should be making democracy more open, not putting obstacles in
the way of people accessing their government," said Senator Charlie
Justice, a St. Petersburg Democrat.

Elizabeth Westfall, a senior lawyer with the Advancement Project, a
voting rights group, predicted that the measure would shut down
voter-registration drives in Florida by outside groups like
the
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_association_for_the_advancement_of_colored_people/index.html?inline=nyt-org>N.A.A.C.P.
 The
legislation would require voter-registration groups to turn in
applications within 48 hours after they are first filled out.

"This is really Draconian," Ms. Westfall said.

She also criticized the provision that would require voters who move
less than a month before an election to vote with a provisional
ballot. She faulted the state for failing to make early voting easier.

Gov.
<http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/c/charlie_crist/index.html?inline=nyt-per>Charlie

Crist ordered polling places to stay open longer last year to
accommodate throngs of voters who showed up for early voting.

Mr. Diaz de la Portilla defended the requirements for turning in
voter applications promptly. He said it was important to make sure
the state's voting rolls were accurate.

"People hold onto things and don't turn them in and don't meet
deadlines," he said.

Ever since the chaotic recount in the 2000 presidential election,
Florida has repeatedly come under fire by voting rights groups and
labor organizations. Some of the proposed changes may have to be
reviewed by the Department of Justice. Because of past
voter-discrimination complaints, five counties in the state must have
any changes to registration procedures cleared by the federal
government.