From Robert Glenn Plotner:

It's *all* being aggregated. Not just Facebook. The entire internet
(and beyond). Search engines like Google crawl everything, *even our
personal websites,* the data mined. And if Google can do it that
easily, you know that Big Brother goes even further. Facebook's
primary reason for doing this is to serve targeted (read more
profitable) advertising. I don't know that on the scale of things
that it harms me if FB sees that I'm a fan of Van Morrison and serves
me an ad for tickets. I also don't understand how the government
could use that against me. Surely, "they" already know I've been a
member of Greenpeace for 25 years without FB's help.

However, the link between tracking and marketing is more questionable
when it comes to the political as it allows both the Republicans
(VoterVault) and the Democrats (VoteBuilder) to target voters. That
robocall and that piece of propaganda mailing you received was likely
precisely targeted by what they know about you via hundreds of
demographics. In other words, you are expressly made a patsy, told
only specific information/disinformation in such a way to create a
psychological/emotional reaction against the idea or opponent they
want defeated.

To take that one step further, such methods when applied by precinct
could easily serve as a technological roadmap for election tampering,
rigging, suppression. My bet is that this has already happened. But
it's not just internet activity. It's every purchase you make with
your bank card. Your magazine subscriptions. Your group affiliations.
Your charitable contributions. Your coupon usage. Yep, NewsCorp owns
SmartSource, the maker of the coupon inserts that arrive in your
Sunday paper. Any idea why?

Robert