Members of the House Financial Services Committee, who are supposed
to oversee the
banking industry, each seem to havemade  a bundle as the market
tanked, by snapping up,
or dumping, bank stocks.

One of them, Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, is a raving Christianist whose
"re-election" in 2006
was evidently stolen (from John Russell), like that year's "wins" by
other Florida Republicans, including Tom Feeney (who "beat" Clint
Curtis) and Lincoln Diaz-Balart (who "beat" Frank
Gonzalez).

Those outcomes were contested by the "losers," who canvassed their
respective districts, and
thereby found that the official vote-counts were completely off, by
margins large enough to
have "elected" their Republican opponents.

(Curtis led that effort, knowing, as he did, that the Republicans in
Florida were routinely
rigging vote-counts electronically--as he knew all too well, since
Feeney had, two years
before, asked him to help develop a computer program for that very
purpose. For more, see
http://www.bradblog.com/?page_id=4454 ; and for a terrifying
documentary about it all, see
Patty Sharaf's Murder, Spies and Voting Lies: The Clint Curtis Story.)

So what did those three "losers" do with their statistical proof of
Bushevik election fraud?
They took it to the House Administration Committee, now in Democratic
hands--and
that committee unanimously voted not to look at the evidence. And
that was that.

Why do I (re)tell this story here? Because both parties are
corrupt--as the article below
makes clear. For it wasn't only the extremist Brown-Waite who made a
bundle off of
bank stocks while the market crashed. As the blog below informs us,
that surreptitious
rip-off was a perfectly bipartisan affair.

So how can we expect the Democrats (or most of them) to give a s**t
about the dire
state of our voting system, when it served to put them in their very
lucrative positions?

MCM

Members of U.S. House Financial Services Committee snapped up or
dumped bank stocks as bottom fell out of market

<http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/06/members_of_us_house_financial.html>http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/06/members_of_us_house_financial.html

A representative for Rep. Charlie Wilson said the congressman leaves
day-to-day investment decisions to a money manager.

* Members of Congress were chasing profits while making policy

WASHINGTON -- As financial markets tumbled and the government worked
to stave off panic by pumping billions of dollars into banks last
fall, several members of Congress who oversee the banking industry
were grabbing up or dumping bank stocks.

Anticipating bargains or profits or just trying to unload before the
bottom fell out, these members of the House Financial Services
Committee or brokers on their behalf were buying and selling stocks
including Bank of America and Citigroup -- some of the very
corporations their committee would later rap for greed, a Plain
Dealer examination of congressional stock market transactions shows.

Financial disclosure records show that some of these Financial
Services Committee members, including Ohio Rep. Charlie Wilson, made
bank stock trades on the same day the banks were getting a government
bailout from a program Congress approved. The transactions may not
have been illegal or against congressional rules, but securities
attorneys and congressional watchdog groups say they raise flags
about the appearance of conflicts of interest.

"I don't think that any of these people should be owning these types
of financial instruments," said Brian Biggins, a Cleveland securities
lawyer and former stock brokerage manager. "I'm not saying they
shouldn't be in the stock market. But if they're on the banking
committee and trading in these kinds of stocks, I don't think that's
right."

For example, Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, a Florida Republican, bought
Citigroup stock valued between $1,001 and $15,000 on Oct. 2, the day
before the House passed the financial rescue bill and President
George W. Bush signed it into law, records show. She opposed the bill.

Eleven days later, she bought $1,001 to $15,000 worth of Bank of
America stock. It was on the same day that then-Treasury Secretary
Henry Paulson told leading banks that he expected them to accept
billions in bailout money to prevent a financial meltdown.

Congressional finance reports available online

Want to see how members of Congress invest their money? It's easier
than ever. Personal financial disclosure filings, which list assets,
transactions, outside income and noncongressional travel
reimbursements, are posted for House members on the House of
Representatives clerk's Web site.

A free private Web site called LegiStorm provides the same
information, as well as the financial disclosure filings of U.S.
senators.

Government watchdog groups say the wide dissemination of these
reports serves a vital public purpose in shedding light on Congress.

"I think that's the critical element, that there is knowledge that
this information will go public, because that adds an important
deterrent effect for members of Congress who are tempted to skirt the
rules or act on what's insider information," said Sheila Krumholz,
executive director of the Center for Responsive Politics. "And now in
the midst of economic decline, citizens are understandably asking
what members knew when and how they acted for their own personal
portfolios -- whether they publicly professed faith in our financial
institutions while privately seeking to offload their holdings in
those same institutions."

Brown-Waite, who has since left the committee to join the tax-writing
Ways and Means Committee, and her spokeswoman would not comment for
this article. The precise value of her investments is not publicly
known because financial disclosure reports provide only broad ranges,
although some members include detailed brokerage reports.

Wilson, a Democrat from the eastern Ohio town of Bridgeport, sold
between $15,001 and $50,000 worth of Huntington Bancshares stock on
Nov. 14, the same day Huntington got $1.4 billion in bailout money
from the federal Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP, records
show. Wilson's transactions over the course of last autumn also
included Bank of America and BB&T, both beneficiaries of the bank
rescue program that Treasury implemented after congressional passage.

Wilson's spokeswoman said the congressman did not personally pick
these trades because he leaves day-to-day investment decisions to a
money manager who uses a proprietary model in selecting securities to
buy or sell.

"To be clear, Mr. Wilson doesn't know about the trades ahead of time
or even as they're being made," said spokeswoman Hillary Wicai Viers.

A spokesman for Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, a New York Democrat also on
the Financial Services Committee, said she similarly leaves
transactions solely to the discretion of account managers. McCarthy's
trades included a $2,275 purchase of bailout recipient J.P. Morgan
Chase while Congress was still hammering out its rescue bill.

Another member of the Financial Services Committee, Democratic Rep.
Jackie Speier of California, said on a recent financial disclosure
report that she bought up to $15,000 in Citigroup stock on Nov. 7.
That was 10 days after the bank got a $25 billion bailout.

Her office now says the report was filed in error, the transaction
should have been listed as her husband's -- and she wishes he had not
made it.

"When I brought it up with her, she said it was Barry's purchase and
she didn't know about it but she would have disagreed with it at the
time had she known about it," Speier spokesman Mike Larsen said.

Her husband wasn't the only committee spouse trading on bank stocks.

The stockbroker husband of West Virginia's Shelley Moore Capito, a
Republican, sold more than $100,000 in Citigroup stock in several
transactions late last year. His brokerage firm was owned by
Citigroup and his compensation included Citigroup stock. A Capito
spokesman said the House Ethics Committee gave her verbal approval to
join the committee despite her husband's job.

Another committee member, Illinois Republican Judith Biggert, whose
husband sold Wells Fargo stock while Congress was helping to shape
the rescue bill, said she does not discuss stock transactions with
her spouse.

"I wouldn't have the vaguest idea" why he sold at that time "because
we don't discuss our stocks," said Biggert. "We have a financial
group in Chicago, and they take care of all of that."

Some of these stock sales enabled committee members or their families
to cut losses before the market continued its slide. Other trades
proved to be particularly ill-timed. Citigroup stock, for example,
closed at $22.50 per share the day Brown-Waite bought it. Now it's
hovering around $3.

Many details about the massive financial bailout last fall were
widely known outside Capitol Hill. Yet members of the Financial
Services Committee were privy to closed-door discussions, staff
briefings and political horse-trading decisions between political
parties, Congress and the White House. Banks lobbied Congress and the
administration heavily.

Banks that received bailout money spent $77 million on lobbying and
$37 million on federal campaign contributions last year, according to
the Center for Responsive Politics. The center found that the banks
spending the heaviest got the biggest rescue packages.

There has been no direct evidence that this allowed members to engage
in insider trading. But when lawmakers overseeing banks also buy and
sell bank stocks, it can create "the appearance of a problem," said
Anthony J. Hartman, a Cleveland securities attorney.

"I do a lot of different types of litigation, and I just don't think
anybody ought to be putting themselves in a situation where as an
elected official, I can be suspect of what they are doing," Hartman
said.

The issue of appearances is complicated, said Melanie Sloan,
executive director of Citizens for Responsibility in Ethics in
Washington, because "we can't say that because you're a member of
Congress you can't buy or sell any stocks at all."

But she added, "I do think it's more troubling on an oversight
committee, particularly Financial Services."