Interview with Scoop's Alastair Thompson
By Joan Brunwasser

<http://www.opednews.com/articles/Interview-with-Scoop-s-Ala-by-Joan-Brunwasser-090707-183.html>http://www.opednews.com/articles/Interview-with-Scoop-s-Ala-by-Joan-Brunwasser-090707-183.html

Welcome to OpEdNews, Alastair. You're an unknown quantity to many of
our American readers. Yet your creation,
<http://Scoop.co.nz>Scoop.co.nz, been around for over ten years. Can
you describe what Scoop is and what you do?

Joan, it's a pleasure to be answering questions about Scoop here on
OpEdNews. We have watched this site grow over several years to occupy
a similar place to that which Scoop started to stake out when we
launched in 1999.

Scoop has two aspects to what it does. We publish raw news
(disintermediated press releases and speeches) in our home market of
New Zealand [NZ]. We do this in a spirit of empowering the public by
giving them access to the full undigested stream of information which
goes into creating the media that they see in their newspapers and on
the radio and TV.

And, (and this will be the bit that your readers are most interested
in) we also publish free and frank commentary and some press releases
from around the world. In this area of publication, we concentrate on
stories which are either being ignored in the mainstream or which are
receiveing insufficient attention. Our US coverage for example has
concentrated on subjects like: the lies that started the Iraq war,
corporate malfeasance and criminality, impeachment, unanswered
questions in the official 911 narrative, and the weaknesses in the US
election system - particularly in relation to electronic voting
machine vulnerablities.

You have garnered some pretty impressive awards since 1999. Can you
take a moment and talk about that?

The success of the idea as a web media concept was not quite so
quickly followed with financial success, unfortunately. But the lack
of funds encouraged creativity and freedom on the editorial side and
is largely responsible for making Scoop what it has become.

We won lots of awards in the early days - cleaning up in the
inaugural NZ public internet awards in 2001, and then performing well
in 2002,  2003 and 2004. After 2004, the NZ award organizers changed
the methodology, making it a sheer numbers race and we haven't really
tried that hard since. Awards are nice to win but it gets difficult
competing as an independent with the huge online news teams put
together by the newspapers and TV networks. Most recently, we did
rather well in the first properly judged
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0705/S00372.htm>online journalism
awards in 2007.

One of the satisfying things has always been how we have managed to
innovate and stay ahead of the curve. We were the first website to
publish top rating story lists, the first to start publishing images,
and we definitely publish the biggest images online in NZ. We were
also the first news producers to start podcasting and running video.

That's a lot of firsts, especially for a small operation. You've
proven yourselves adept at turning obstacles into challenges and then
rising to them. The alternative press in America could learn a lot
from you.  How did you become interested in examining the underbelly
of American elections?

Through 2002, we had been following the drumbeats to war and
publishing dissident views on the subject. Perhaps because of our
coverage of that and issues like
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/features/UnansweredQuestions.html>Unanswered
Questions we were added to the press release distribution list of
Talion.com, a PR agency being run by
[<http://BlackBoxVoting.org>BlackBoxVoting.org founder and director]
Bev Harris.

In October 2002, we published a press release
"<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0210/S00044.htm>Republicans Make
the US Elections Voting Machines" from Talion.com.

On the eve of the 2002 midterm elections, ES&S demanded removal of
the article "<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0211/S00005.htm>Voting
Machine Company Demands Removal Of Articles". We did not comply and
instead published
<http://search.scoop.co.nz/search?q=talion&b=Talion.com&sort_by=date>several
more releases from Talion.

On 12 November a week after the midterms, I personally decided to
look a bit deeper into the record and published
"<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0211/S00078.htm>American Coup:
Mid-Term Election Polls vs Actuals"  a report which found a pattern
of inconsistencies around the critical senate and gubernatorial races
which occurred in that election round.

That article, and several of the Talion ones, were picked up by
several big US websites - notably by Mark Karlin at
<http://Buzzflash.com>Buzzflash.com and achieved very high levels of
traffic. Little did we realize what was to come next.

Don't stop there, Alastair.

Well, the first thing that happened is that the story was hard to get
traction around. Not only was it hard to get anyone to report
anything about the subject, but criticism for us daring to attack the
credibility of election results came thick and fast. But there was
also considerable support. It was a fun time.

<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0211/S00080.htm>William Rivers Pitt
was one of the first off the blocks to touch on the subject and
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0211/S00081.htm>Faun Otter had
already written on it. Scoop started following the story closely and
publishing anything we could find.

Then, in February 2003, we had a
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0302/S00036.htm>breakthrough - Bev
Harris found an open FTP site with
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0302/S00052.htm>all the source code
to the Diebold voting machines. These reports were closely followed
by a <http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0302/S00101.htm>report in the
Guardian Newspaper and this
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0302/S00156.htm>fantastic report
out of Baltimore.
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0302/S00157.htm>Salon's Farhad
Manjoo joined the beat a few days later.

Scoop was rapidly becoming a clearing house for information on this
new and fascinating area of inquiry. Bev Harris was telling me she
was onto some really big material, (she rang to tell me) but then
went a bit quiet. In March,
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO0303/S00325.htm>elements of the
Democratic Party finally woke up to what was going on.

But the big break was still ahead - it was to do with the
breakthrough in February and the cache of Diebold source files.

Interview with Scoop's Alastair Thompson, Part 2

By Joan Brunwasser

At the end of
<http://www.opednews.com/articles/Interview-with-Scoop-s-Ala-by-Joan-Brunwasser-090707-183.html>part

one of our interview, you left off with Bev Harris's breakthrough
discovery about Diebold.  Please don't leave us hanging, Alastair!

In June 2003, (after the war started) Bev contacted me by phone. She
had been trying valiantly to get computer scientists to look at the
source code she had uncovered with no success. She was also becoming
a little concerned for her own safety. Her own inquiries into the
source code had confirmed that the machines and tabulators were
foolishly hackable but getting someone official on the record to say
so was proving impossible. Most scientists were afraid that if they
broke the easily cracked zip passwords on some of the files they
would be opening themselves up to felony prosecution under the DMCA
[the Digital Millennium Copyright Act].

We decided to proceed to publish Bev's findings as they stood.

On July 8 2003 we did so in a one-two punch. First up was my
commentary on Bev's findings
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0307/S00064.htm>"Bigger Than
Watergate" and then, seven minutes later, Bev's expose report
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0307/S00065.htm>"Inside a US
Election Vote Counting Program" which explained in detail just how
easy it is to hack a US election without being detected, if you have
access to the tabulation computer.

In the first story, a link was also published to a copy of the cache
of Diebold source files data.

Over the next few days, the story went ballistic. It was linked off
of Slashdot.org and copies of both stories were posted on hundreds of
websites across the US and the world - including Buzzflash.com and
Whatreallyhappened.org. It was even
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0307/S00102.htm>translated into
German and Robert Cringely of PBS picked it up.

Meanwhile, the cache of data files was downloaded hundreds of times -
often by military computers - but most importantly by a group of
scientists at Johns Hopkins University. And on July 25, they
published their report,
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0307/S00196.htm>"Analysis of an
Electronic Voting System." The source of the files they used is
acknowledged in the footnotes.

The academic paper which examined the vulnerabilities of Diebold's
touchscreen software was reported in the New York Times,
<http://www.nytimes.com/2003/07/24/technology/24VOTE.html>"Computer
Voting is Open to Easy Fraud, Experts Say" and suddenly it was game
on . [You can see just how widely the NYT story was picked up
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0307/S00219.htm>here.]

I then introduced myself to the election reform crew at the
<http://www.democraticunderground.com/>Democratic Underground which
was then the clubhouse for the team researching this stuff, and we
prepared to do battle to get something done about this mess.

Well, having worked the election integrity beat since 2005, I'm not
so confident that we've actually made much progress over the years.
Media exposure is an important first step.  But we're still working
toward getting widespread recognition of the dangers of computerized
voting to democratic values. What progress can you point to?

Precisely.

Actually, knowledge is only a small part of the solution, and, since
2002, we have seen three sets of compromised elections.

And probably most sad of all - nothing concrete is being done even
now -  and given the track record of the election fraudsters, I would
fully expect the 2010 midterms to be compromised.

And when you realise that the corrupt election system is also being
used to run primary races, you may quickly figure out why even with
control of the House and the Senate, Obama is finding it tough going
getting his agenda in place.

In the aftermath of the original revelations of 2003, I expected
there to be significant and rapid moves to fix the problems. But
precisely the opposite happened - election officials dug in and
defended their machines - they called the election integrity movement
names and attempted to sideline us.

Meanwhile, the media were little better, and even after the 2004
election, they were poking the borax - though at least then they did
in fact report the idea of stolen elections on the front pages.

Unfortunately, politicians and naysayers have persistently maintained
the view that unless there is a smoking gun they will not believe
what they want not to believe.

The tragedy is that there is a smoking gun - one that emerged in the
aftermath of the events described above.

After the source code leak, two more sets of leaks followed in the
summer of 2003. First, the Diebold memos (made famous by the
Swarthmore College civil disobedience action). These memos contained
some interesting additional information about the Volusia County
incident in the 2000 election.

In October 2003, I published my version of this story
<http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL0310/S00211.htm>"Diebold Memos
Disclose Florida 2000 E-Voting Fraud" based on information provided
by Bev Harris. Bev's version of the same story can be found in her
<http://www.amazon.com/Black-Box-Voting-Tampering-Century/dp/1890916900>book
on the subject.

This story proves election fraud has happened.

The timing, scale and nature of the discrepancy is such that it
unquestionably played a part in the premature award of the 2000
election to George Bush by network news anchors on election night. It
cannot be explained by any other credible explanation except computer
hacking. It is the smoking gun.

Thank you, Alastair. We'll pause here with the smoking gun. When we
come back, we'll talk about the 2004 presidential election, online
independents, Scoop's mission statement, and the stable of Americans
that write for Scoop. I hope you'll join us.

****
Correction to part one (already amended online), as pointed out by
Bev Harris: "Each instance of Talion.com in part one should be
replaced with Bev Harris - I owned Talion.com, but it was a publicity
site that had nothing to do with the voting issue."  Thank you, Be

Author's Bio: Joan Brunwasser is a co-founder of
<http://ihcenter.org/Groups/CitizensForElectionReform.html>Citizens
for Election Reform (CER) which exists for the sole purpose of
raising the public awareness of the critical need for election
reform. We aim to restore fair, accurate, transparent, secure
elections where votes are cast in private and counted in public.
Electronic (computerized) voting systems are simply antithetical to
democratic principles.

CER set up a lending library to achieve the widespread distribution
of the DVD Invisible Ballots: A temptation for electronic vote fraud.
Within eighteen months, the project had distributed over 3200 copies
across the country and beyond. CER now concentrates on group
showings, OpEd pieces, articles, reviews, interviews, discussion
sessions, networking, conferences, anything that promotes awareness
of this critical problem. Joan has been Election Integrity Editor for
OpEdNews since December, 2005.

Back