Some Guantanamo Bay Detainees May Be Held Indefinitely
By Elizabeth Lee
Washington

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-07-10-voa6.cfm

An Obama administration official told Senators Tuesday that some
detainees at the Guantanamo Bay detention facility will most likely
be held indefinitely if they pose a threat. The official spoke at a
Senate Armed Services Committee hearing. The comments drew criticism
from Democrats and human rights groups. _

It is one of America's most controversial prisons. The Guantanamo Bay
facility holds the self-proclaimed mastermind of the September 11
attacks as well as other terror suspects.

During his first week in office, President Obama signed an executive
order to close the prison in January 2010.

"This is me following through on, not just a commitment I made during
the campaign, but I think an understanding that dates back to our
Founding Fathers, that we are willing to observe core standards of
conduct," President Obama said.

President Obama's plan was to try some detainees in federal court and
others in military commissions while transfering some abroad.

But at a Senate hearing, Defense Department lawyer Jeh Johnson
described one group of prisoners that will remain behind bars.

"There will be at the end of the review a category of people that we
in the administration believe must be retained for reasons of public
safety and
national security, and they're not necessarily people that we'll
prosecute," Johnson said.

Johnson also said any detainee, even if acquitted, could be held indefinitely.

"And we've gone through our review period and we've made through the
assessment the person is a security threat....I think it's our view
that we would have the ability to detain that person," Johnson said.

Jo Becker is a Deputy Director of Human Rights Watch.

"It's taking the new administration down the same road that Bush
traveled, and it's not going to end up in a better place," Becker
said.

The international community criticized President Bush for holding
terror suspects without trial. Some said it weakened U.S. credibility.

[Brace yourself:]

President Obama himself has said the U.S. must hold true to the
constitution and American values.

He also said the administration would work with Congress and the
courts to come up with a plan for indefinite detention.

"We will safeguard what we must to protect the American people, but
we will also ensure the accountability and oversight that is the
hallmark of our constitutional system," the president said.

Like President Bush before him, Mr. Obama says military commissions
will try some of the detainees. But, according to the White House,
information obtained under torture will not be allowed as evidence
and detainees will have greater access to lawyers.

Human Rights Watch says military trials are still unacceptable.

"These commissions are fatally flawed. You can't fix them to create a
credible system that is going to have legitamacy in the eyes of the
world," Becker said.

229 detainees remain in Guantanamo Bay. It is unclear how many will
be released, tried in court or held without trial._