*Somebody should tell His Holiness that those experimental vaccines*
*are now being tested on poor people, in Brazil and South Africa. *

*His plea to make that dubious vaccine "available to all," in the name of *
*fairness **and equality, is as absurd as Bernie Sanders' urging free face *
*masks for **all Americans. *

*If those two favor all the rest of us so much over "the richest" (as*
*Francis calls the billionaire elite—who, believe me, won't be getting*
*that vaccine), they'd be demanding unrestricted **universal access to *
*hydroxychloroquine, and calling for the lockdowns now to end.*

*MCM*

Make vaccine available to all, Pope Francis urges
https://catholic-sf.org/news/make-vaccine-available-to-all-pope-francis-urges
<https://catholic-sf.org/news/make-vaccine-available-to-all-pope-francis-urges#>
4
<https://catholic-sf.org/news/make-vaccine-available-to-all-pope-francis-urges#>

   -
      - Home <https://catholic-sf.org/>
      - Pope Francis <https://catholic-sf.org/pope-francis>
      - Latest News <https://catholic-sf.org/latest-news>
      - Coronavirus <https://catholic-sf.org/coronavirus>

   - [image: Make vaccine available to all, Pope Francis urges]

   *Pope Francis gives his general audience address in the library of the
   Apostolic Palace Aug. 19. Credit: Vatican Media*

   Aug. 19, 2020
   Catholic News Agency

   VATICAN CITY -- A potential coronavirus vaccine should be made available
   to all, Pope Francis said at the general audience Wednesday.

   “It would be sad if, for the vaccine for COVID-19, priority were to be
   given to the richest! It would be sad if this vaccine were to become the
   property of this nation or another, rather than universal and for all,”
   Pope Francis said Aug. 19.

   The pope’s comments followed a warning by the head of the World Health
   Organization Tuesday that some countries may hoard vaccines.

   Speaking in Geneva Aug. 18, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom
   Ghebreyesus appealed to world leaders to avoid what he called “vaccine
   nationalism.”

   In his address, the pope also said it would be a “scandal” if public
   money were used to bail out industries “that do not contribute to the
   inclusion of the excluded, the promotion of the least, the common good, or
   the care of creation.”

   He said that governments should only help industries that met all four
   criteria.

   The pope was speaking in the library of the Apostolic Palace, where he
   has held his general audiences since the coronavirus pandemic struck Italy
   in March.

   His reflection was the third installment in a new series of catechetical
   talks on Catholic social teaching, which he began earlier this month.

   Introducing the new cycle of catechesis Aug. 5, the Pope said: “In the
   coming weeks, I invite you to tackle together the pressing issues that the
   pandemic has highlighted, especially social diseases.”

   “And we will do it in the light of the Gospel, the theological virtues,
   and the principles of the Church’s social doctrine. We will explore
   together how our Catholic social tradition can help the human family heal
   this world that suffers from serious diseases.”

   In his address Wednesday, Pope Francis focused on the pandemic, which
   has claimed the lives of more than 781,000 people worldwide as of Aug. 19,
   according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center.

   The pope called for a twofold response to the virus.

   “On the one hand, it is essential to find a cure for this small but
   terrible virus, which has brought the whole world to its knees. On the
   other, we must also cure a larger virus, that of social injustice,
   inequality of opportunity, marginalization, and the lack of protection for
   the weakest,” the pope said, according to an unofficial working translation
   provided by the Holy See press office.
   -

   *Click on the link for the rest.*

--
If you appreciate News From Underground, please consider making a donation —

2) go to http://groups.google.com/group/newsfromunderground and click on the
"Unsubscribe or change membership" link in the yellow bar at the top of the
page, then click the "Unsubscribe" button on the next page.

For more News From Underground, visit http://markcrispinmiller.com
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "News
From Underground" group.
to newsfromunderground+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/newsfromunderground/CAGxB6W_KW0_JmMUTn6ZDT%3DasyanqWDKrZ0nh%2B-WO-7m8kde78A%40mail.gmail.com.