Neu: 2001-09-04

Contents of this issue:

1. Top Picks

2. Airline Loan?

September 4th, 2001

1. Top Picks:

The Fiji Labour Party -which led the government deposed in last year's
coup - could win 27 seats in the general elections, according to
preliminary predictions from a new survey. The polling station survey by
University of the South Pacific (USP) researchers involved 45 research
assistants and teachers in over 300 polling stations interviewing people
as they exited the polls. The next major winners will be the indigenous
Fijian Conservative Alliance/Matanitu Vanua and Caretaker Prime Minister
Laisenia Qarase's Soqosoqo Duavata ni Lewenivanua, the survey suggests.
They are tipped to win nine to 10 seats each. The survey was led by
USP's Dr Esther Williams, who said: "While the final findings of this
survey have yet to be tabulated and the data analysed in detail, we can
make some preliminary predictions." Her team interviewed close to 3900
voters throughout Fiji between August 25 to September 1, face to face
and after they had voted.

2. Airline Loan?

Niue is seeking assistance from the People's Republic of China to set
up a local airline to boost the nation's tourism industry. Premier Sani
Lakatani told Radio Australia he will press ahead with a request for a
loan of almost AU$ 2 million (US$ 1,057,055) when China's envoy to New
Zealand, who is also accredited to Niue, arrives for a visit next
month. The premier, who also wants to see full diplomatic relations
established between Niue and China, says he first discussed the airline
proposal during

a visit to Beijing last year. "What I suggested to the PRC is that we
establish an airline to service Niue, to bring tourists to Niue. "I've
already expressed to them my wish, and I've spoken to our government
about requesting a soft loan from them to meet the cost of setting up an
airline for Niue," Premier Lakatani said.

__END__