Neu: 2001-11-21

Contents of this issue:

1. Good Time Ministers Warned

November 21st, 2001

1. Good Time Ministers Warned:

Duty comes before nightclubbing, says Fiji's Prime Minister
Laisenia Qarase.

He told his Cabinet not to tarnish the government's reputation by
irresponsible public conduct.

Mr Qarase's directive comes after the media highlighted the public
conduct of three government ministers this week. [The ministers were
alleged to have been drunk and disorderly in public bars.]

"The rights of ministers as individuals are protected under the
Constitution. But surely as ministers and Members of Parliament we are
all expected to maintain the highest standard of responsible behavior,
moral integrity, public and personal decorum.'

"As ministers we are expected to maintain the dignity of the public
office we hold.'

"I request all ministers to bear this in mind and not be an
embarrassment to our government, your family, and our community,'' Mr.
Qarase said.(PR/Fiji Times).

__END__