Neu: 2002-01-17

Contents of this issue:

1. Soft Touch?

2. Lineup Without Niue

3. Carpenters Needed

January 17th 2002

1. Soft Touch?:

The Government must heed a warning New Zealand is a new target for
people smugglers after granting refugee status to asylum seekers
Australia turned away says National leader Bill English said.

Australian Immigration Minister Philip Ruddock said it has been
suggested people smugglers "are now talking more about New Zealand than
they are about Australia", after it granted refugee status to most of
the 131 Tampa asylum seekers who Australia refused to take in.

It was "unsafe to assume that smugglers have not noticed" New Zealand's
high refugee status approval rate for the Tampa asylum seekers. Mr
English said Prime Minister Helen Clark must take notice of Mr
Ruddock's warning.

"New Zealand is clearly now seen as a soft touch and it is not hard to
understand why," he said in a statement.

"Clark's original decision reflects her tendency to short-term thinking
and now Philip Ruddock is alerting her to the long-term consequences."

Miss Clark had a duty to tell New Zealanders what the Government's
policy on the issue was and what advice she had received on dealing with
boatpeople if they arrived here.

Immigration Minister Lianne Dalziel could not be reached for comment.

Meanwhile the Niue Government will refuse to accept any boatpeople for
processing. At the last Legislative Assembly meeting the Alliance
Independent Opposition member O'Love Jacobsen convinced the 20 seat
Parliament to adopt a policy of non involvement in the asylum seeking
refugee issues.( NZPA).

2. Lineup Without Niue:

The Niue sevens rugby side may miss out on this year's Wellington leg of
the World Sevens Series on February 8-9. Niue played in its first
international series this time last year when France withdrew from the
Wellington match.

The field is: Argentina, Australia, Canada, China, Cook Islands,
England, Fiji, France, Japan, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Samoa,
South Africa, Tonga, United States and Wales.

However Niue remains on standby and is the first pick to replace any
side that withdraws.Six players are training daily on the island and at
least one NZ based sevens players would join the team.

3. Carpenters Needed:

Tonga is considering asking for skilled builders from Australia and New
Zealand to help rebuild the cyclone-devastated islands in the northern
part of the kingdom.

Cyclone Waka tore through Vava'u and Niuafa'ou early in the New Year
with winds up to 150 miles per hour.

Many people who have lost their homes are living in Australian-donated
tents, but Tonga's disaster office head, Malui Takai, says more
assistance is still needed.

"The local warehouses are running out of building supplies and we are
considering requesting assistance from skilled builders to help out with
the building of schools.

"I think that is one of our top priorities at this point," Mr.
Takai said.

"One reason we are so concerned about schools is that the academic year
starts at the end of this month and we are considering various options
like putting up marquees or huge tents as temporary classrooms."

After Cyclone Ofa in 1990 which devastated Niue, volunteer tradesmen
from New Zealand assisted with the re-construction of the damaged Niue
Hotel. (PIR).

__END__