Timnit Gebru's reaction on [
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/timnit-gebru-7b3b407_oxford-shuts-down-institute-run-by-elon-musk-backed-activity-7187942898712129536-nfLa?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2024/apr/28/nick-bostrom-controversial-future-of-humanity-institute-closure-longtermism-affective-altruism
 | The Guardian's article  ] below. The DAIR institute she create has also
published a paper on " [
https://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/13636 | The TESCREAL ] "
bundle (see link) - which Wikipedia describes as " Gebru and [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89mile_P._Torres | Émile P. Torres ] have
used the acronym TESCREAL to criticize what they see as a group of overlapping
futurist philosophies: [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism |
transhumanism ] , [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extropianism | extropianism ]
, [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singularitarianism | singularitarianism ] , [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cosmism | cosmism ] , [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationalism | rationalism ] , [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_Altruism | effective altruism ] , and [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longtermism | longtermism ] . Gebru considers
these to be a right-leaning influence in [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Tech | Big Tech ] and compares proponents to
"the [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics | eugenicists ] of the 20th
century" in their production of harmful projects they portray as "benefiting
humanity ""

Here's Gebru's response :

" So finally, Nick Bostrom's institute has been closed down at Oxford, and he
resigned from the university following that.

When I got a request to speak from something something Oxford this was how I
had responded:

"Thank you for the invitation.

Given the number of eugenicists housed at Oxford with zero consequences,
especially those who created the field of "existential studies" talking about
"existential risk" from "AI" like Nick Bostrom, various people in his
institute, the effective altruists and the overall TESCREAL bundle who have
been drenched in money to advocate for the impending AGI apocalypse and utopia,
two sides of the same coin, I don't plan to make any types of appearance at
Oxford. I certainly will give no credence to people who talk about "Blacks"
being "more stupid than whites," "dysgenic pressures" (the opposite of eugenic
pressures) as existential risk to humanity, with stupid people (like "the
Blacks") reproducing and creating a species that is not human. As many people
have written, the most racist ideas are propagated and laundered through
academia. This has historically been the case at Oxford and we are currently
seeing it in action. Oxford has been the absolute worst in this manner.

So following Keira Haven's recommendations, what I plan to do is "make them
laughingstocks. Make them irrelevant. Demolish any lingering scientific
credibility, and make it painful for their institutions — academic and
otherwise — to continue to associate them publicly."

I don't have the billions they get from their TESCREAL billionaires so I will
not use my limited time and resources to debate anyone in this camp. "

[ https://www.telecom-paris.fr/ ]

Thomas LE BONNIEC
Doctorant SES- I3
[ https://diplab.eu/ | DiPLab ]