Ted and others,

I've been meaning to ask you this for a while...

When you hear migrating Lark Sparrows in Colorado, are you hearing their
flight call they often give while flying over in the day or is this strictly
a nocturnal flight call you're hearing?  If the latter, how would you
describe it relative to other species and/or their daytime flight call?  Do
you know of a recording somewhere?  I ask this because I never heard a Lark
Sparrow give their daytime call (or at least the call I'm thinking of) in my
nights listening in Utah.

Songbirds are definitely beginning to move here in eastern Washington. Last
night I heard at least 4 Chipping Sparrows and 1 probable Yellow Warbler in
about 15 minutes of listening outside of Spokane, WA.

We had a nice surface inversion tonight with calm winds at the surface
before a cool/gust (the increase in the wind actually mixed the
atmosphere causing the temperatures to warm) front producing 5-15mph
easterly winds at the surface with 20-35mph easterly winds 200-1000+ ft AGL
move through eastern WA.  I hoped the sudden increase in a non desirable
wind direction would cause an increase in nocturnal flight call activity,
but that did not appear to happen in my ~15 minutes of listening just after
the gust front passed.  Birds heard included 2 presumed Chipping Sparrows
and 1 Savannah-type Sparrow (Vesper and Grasshopper fit into this
category?).

Colby
Spokane, WA