From: "Ted Floyd" <tfl...@aba.org>
To: nfc-l@cornell.edu
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2009 2:18:04 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [nfc-l] Nocturnal migration, Boulder County, Colorado, Aug. 23-25

Hello, all.

1. With light north-northeast winds and decent cloud cover, the pre-dawn
night flight earlier today, Tuesday, Aug. 25th, over Lafayette, Boulder
County, Colorado, was the best thus far this season. (There's something
special about the exact date of Aug. 25th here in Boulder County.)
Anyhow, details at http://tiny.cc/r13NJ

2. Detectable nocturnal migration over Boulder County was light Aug.
23rd and 24th. Basically, just the core species for this time of year:
Wilson's Warbler, presumed Brewer's Sparrow, and dwindling numbers of
Chipping Sparrows. And a cool Red-breasted Nuthatch. Details:
http://tiny.cc/ojbox

3. Just out of curiosity, anybody got good, credible flight calls of
MacGillivray's Warbler? That one has me somewhat flummoxed, I haveta
say.

4. Recent postings from Jay Withgott and Jim Danzenbaker. Great stuff!
And, now, for a brief proclamation from my soapbox. I assume that with
nocturnal flight calls, as with seemingly all other matters
ornithological, we shouldn't think of the phenomenon in simple
"East-vs.-West" terms. Our continent has a fundamental three-part
division, at least ornithologically speaking: (1) East and North; (2)
Interior West; and (3) Pacific Slope. Not that anyone around here has
been guilty of declaring otherwise! But I figured I'd nip it in the bud,
just in case.

All best,
Ted Floyd (still waiting for just a single, stinkin' Catharus thrush...)

-------------------------------

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Please support the American Birding Association: Click on
http://www.goodsearch.com/?charityid=884482 to search the internet.

Check out the American Birding Association on FaceBook:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=22934255714

Check out the American Birding Association on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/abaoutreach

Please visit the website of the American Birding Association:
http://www.aba.org

http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html