Michael et al.,

In the March 2009 issue of Birding, Eric Salzman discusses the "descending cackle" of Yellow Rail, which I guess would have been the vocalization I'd have picked as most likely to serve the purpose of a nocturnal flight call in that species. He heard a bird make it in flight (albeit just before landing) while on migration. Link to the article:

http://www.aba.org/birding/v41n2p40.pdf

Nathan Pieplow
Boulder, Colorado
www.earbirding.com/blog