From: "Magnus Robb" <magnus.r...@xs4all.nl>
To: "nfc-l@cornell.edu Call ListServe" <nfc-l@cornell.edu>
Cc: "Andrew Farnsworth" <andrew.farnswo...@gmail.com>, "SLIMBIRD Gerard"
<gphill...@istar.ca>
Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 12:04:22 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [nfc-l] passerines with sexually dimorphic flight calls?

Equally interesting is the question of which passerines (and 'near-passerines')
can be sexed according to their flight calls outside of the breeding season. I
have not searched for examples in any thorough way, although I have been
recording migrants and noting sex when possible for a long time, without
noticing examples.

During spring migration, some birds may sing while passing overhead, and
depending on the species, this might be limited to males. Limiting the
discussion to flight calls, however, I can only think of Raven as a passerine
known to have at least some male- or female-only calls throughout the year.

There are many more examples among non-passerines, eg Apus swifts, but most
passerines seem to share non-breeding call repertoire across the sexes without
noticeable differences.

I would be delighted to be shot down and shown that there are many examples,
but what are they? Alternatively, are there instances of some passerine species
where males use certain shared calls much more often than females outside the
breeding season?

all the best,

Magnus Robb