From: "Jeff Wells" <jwe...@intlboreal.org>
To: NFC-L@cornell.edu
Sent: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 2:42:45 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [nfc-l] Night flight call station results-Maine-April 1-3

I started my automated recording station for the season here in Maine on
Thursday night, April 1st. Although there were few calls each of the last three
nights, the numbers increased a little each night from about 10 the night of
the 1st to about 30 last night. There were a few Hermit Thrushes the first
night, 6 the 2nd and 12 the night of the 3rd. There were a few Killdeer each
night, a Wood Duck, and 4-10 sparrows each night with Song and White-throat
plus a couple that may be American Tree Sparrow and a junco or two. A few other
items of interest:

-several nights had Herring Gull calls in the middle of the night that I assume
are night migrating birds;

-several nights had the squeal flight calls of American Robins around midnight.
Although I sometimes have what I assume to be local on-the-ground robins sing
and give ground alarm calls in the middle of the night, they don't give the
squeal calls. The acoustics of the recorded squeal calls also seem more like
birds overhead. I suspect that, as unlikely as it seems, that these were
night-flying robins when by all accounts the species is only a diurnal migrant;

-one night I had what sounded like a bit of song of a night-flying Hermit
Thrush. I typically get some night-flying birds in May that break out in song
or partial song while flying overhead but I had never picked that up for Hermit
Thrush.

I posted some of the call files on my blog at: www.borealbirds.org/blog

Jeff Wells