From: "Benjamin Van Doren" <nimajn...@gmail.com>
To: NFC-L@cornell.edu
Cc: "Michael O'Brien" <tsw...@comcast.net>, "Tom Burke"
<tom.bu...@mcgladrey.com>, "Andrew Farnsworth" <andrew.farnswo...@gmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 25, 2011 5:16:08 PM
Subject: Apparent flyover BLACK RAIL female advertising call (Westchester Co.,
NY)

Hi all,

Michael O'Brien kindly informed me that I posses a recording of an apparent
BLACK RAIL's female advertising call, a rarely-recorded vocalization! I've
attached it in this message; it was recorded on 4/21/2011 at 8:50 PM from the
Marshlands Conservancy in Rye, NY. The microphone was located in a field, and
despite combing through the surrounding many minutes of the raw recordings I
can't find any other vocalizations, so it seems that this was flyover bird
passing through (though there is marsh nearby).

To my knowledge, there is only one previous Westchester County, NY record of
Black Rail, from June 1986, interestingly at the same preserve where this
recording was made (though in the marsh).

So if anyone has a mystery low-pitched, loosely buzzy flight call recording
that sounds like this one, you might have recorded a Black Rail!

Benjamin Van Doren
White Plains, NY

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html