From: "Jeff Wells" <jwe...@intlboreal.org>
To: "Nocturnal Flight Call ListServe" <nfc-l@cornell.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:09:41 PM
Subject: [nfc-l] Hermit Thrush flight calls on ground

Yesterday morning I was out in my suburban yard in south-central Maine watching
a nice morning flight of birds moving over and through when I began hearing the
“chuck” call of a Hermit Thrush from the neighbor’s backyard. Soon it began
alternating between the “chuck” call and the drawn-out “whee” nocturnal flight
call. I went inside to get my camera to record it (my recording gear was packed
away) and by then it had flown up across the street into the top of a tree. At
that point it began just doing the flight call with no more of the “chuck” call
and then it moved to another taller tree 100 yards away where it stayed and
continued doing the call for a bit before suddenly stopping. It may have flown
away or it may have just stopped calling and dropped down somewhere nearby but
I never saw or heard it again.

I was able to get some of the calls on some video clips, one of which I posted
up on my YouTube channel for anyone interested. I think I have some recordings
of Hermit Thrushes interspersing the nocturnal call into songs during the
breeding season and I know I have a recording of a Swainson’s Thrush doing
that.

Anyway, you can hear the calls on the video titled “Hermit Thrush giving
nocturnal flight call” at: http://www.youtube.com/birdconservation

Interestingly, the second call it gives on the video is much burrier than what
I think of as normal and some of the calls seem a bit shorter than what I am
used to hearing at night.

Jeff Wells

Gardiner, Maine
Welcome and Basics
Rules and Information
Subscribe, Configuration and Leave
Archives:
The Mail Archive
Surfbirds
BirdingOnThe.Net
Please submit your observations to eBird !

ARCHIVES:
1) http://www.mail-archive.com/nfc-l@cornell.edu/maillist.html
2) http://www.surfbirds.com/birdingmail/Group/NFC-L