Pretty fascinating stuff- since the radar reflectivity did not indicate the
'largest' flight of the season for NY State, yet the call rates were clearly
highest. The upper-level winds were out of the WSW last night, which may
have caused 1) more birds to compensate for drift and 2) birds to fly at
lower altitude to avoid the effects of the head/side wind. Whether 1 would
influence call rate is unknown to me, but 2 should definitely influence the
detectability of calls. We could test 2 by calculating the vertical profile
of reflectivity for last night and several other of the 'big' nights over
the last month- and see whether there is a significant difference. This
would at least tell us whether the detected call rate had to do with the way
we sample the sky (and the detectability of birds at various altitudes).
Knowing the altitudinal distribution we could then look at the winds aloft
to determine the relative effect (wind aloft from radiosonde balloons vs.
actual target speed and direction derived from the radar) of the wind on
flight direction, and therefore infer whether birds were being pushed off
course. I guess there's a viable 3rd option which is that more immature (and
naive) birds are flying now than earlier in the season, which we would
assume would influence call rate... although I don't know the relative
breakdown of adult:immature in the suite of species moving now (just
thinking of Am Redstart is what conjured the hypothesis).

Any other thoughts?

cheers

David
________________________