Hi Chris and all,

>From personal communications I understand that my comments sounded harsher or
>more broadly critical than they were intended. I certainly didn't mean to be
>dismissive of the study of nocturnal flight calls! But the recent ID threads
>raise some issues that deserve thought.

As I understood it, people have been using automated methods for sampling and
recording nocturnal flight calls, rather than listening and recording in real
time. The potential value of automation over direct observation is obvious in
terms of data volume and efficiency--much larger datasets per unit of research
effort. But let's not forget that there must be a trade-off in terms of
quality--that the automated protocol will probably miss lots of interesting
stuff that it's not "looking" for, and that more of the sounds it picks up will
be difficult to identify (due to truncation, loss of context, or whatever),
than if somebody had been recording the whole night period and listening to
everything carefully in its context. Against this seemingly obvious trade-off,
it struck me as questionable for the best minds of nfc analysis to expend so
much effort and expertise in manually analyzing a very small number of
ambiguous data points (it was the selection of these particular clips that
seemed haphazard and ex post facto). To me, this approach squanders the
advantages that the automated technique offers in terms of efficiency while
yielding very minimal improvements to data quality. If, as I suspect, the
motivation for fixating on these particular odd and unexpected recordings isn't
really so much about improving datasets per se, but is rather an expression of
curiosity and a desire to learn, then let's at least be honest about how this
feeds back to the trade-off. My query really comes down to this: there must
exist some point at which the effort sacrificed for combing out and correcting
a small number of ambiguous, truncated recordings consumes so much time that
one might have achieved better data (and more personal satisfaction) via direct
observation of selected hours of nocturnal activity.

Shai Mitra
Bay Shore, NY