Niclas Sodergard writes:
 > On 6/8/07, Roch - PAE <Roch.Bourbonnais at sun.com> wrote:
 >
 > >  > from the V20z to the V240 gives me a write speed of 80MB/s. So my
 > >  > problem is that I get reading speed of 40MB/s over NFS and with the
 > >  > same options I get writing speed of 80MB/s. I'm having a really hard
 > >  > time to understand this and I was hoping someone here could provide
 > >  > some light in this very dark tunnel.
 > >  >
 > >  > What could cause read speed to be so much slower than write?
 > >  >

 > > This does not look extraordinary to me although, clearly it
 > > could be bettern.
 > >
 > > To write, you're pushing data out, presumably at the speed of
 > > the network with NFS responses (ack) coming in stride.
 > >
 > > To read,  it's a request/response  load.   Send your request
 > > wait  for  response.   Because of the  sequential  streaming
 > > access pattern, you should be hitting readahead codepath (in
 > > the client client and  server filesystem). That might not be
 > > behaving optimally; so at times the network goes quiet while
 > > a server side read is being braught in from disk.
 >
 > Thanks for your answer.
 >
 > I've continued to bash my head against the server and tried a few more
 > options.
 >
 > 1. I removed the network switched and connected the machines directly
 > with a cable. No changes.
 >
 > 2. I tried multiple reading streams but that doesn't change anything
 >
 > 3. I mounted the server to my linux workstation (running a 2.6.20
 > kernel) and that machine is capable of reading 80MB/s. So clearly the
 > V240+6140 is able to push the data.
 >
 > This makes me wonder that there must be something wrong/misconfigured
 > with the Solaris 10 nfs client. I've tried googling a lot, checked
 > sunsolve, google.groups but there doesn't seem to be any good answers.
 > Are there any performance related parameters that I can change that
 > could affect the nfs client?

The file is not fully cached right ?  So to get 80MB/sec and
5ms I/O latency, you need 400KB of readahead window. I think
our clients manage  8 async threads  per mount point (at 32K
per request you  fall a bit  short).  You might  try playing
with:

        nfs3_max_threads
        nfs4_max_threads

or use multiple streams from multiple mount points.

-r