Luke Scharf wrote:

> Robert Thurlow wrote:

>>> Are you of the opinion that the global zone shouldn't be able to limit
>>> what the local zone is able to share via NFS, within its root ?
>>>
>>> Or that this would/should be done seperately?
>>

>> My thoughts from here are that a zone can share a slice/LUN/cXtXdXsX,
>> but not something it accesses via lofs, and if it has such an object,
>> it gets to make the decision to share.  The switch is for the global
>> zone admin to veto thr ability to share anything.
>

> Why not just run a userland NFS daemon in the zones -- and follow the
> existing security model?
>
> That makes all of the security model questions fall away -- and it
> also gets fault isolation.  There's a slight performance penalty, but
> you're running a VM-ish environment anyway.

This thought did occur to me and if you take it to the logical
conclusion, there is no way to restrict which directories or
partitions a zone shares if they are accessible inside the zone.
This presupposes that root in the zone has access to software
to do this...but there have been programs around for over a
decade that are standalone NFS clients, so I can't see why
there isn't an NFS server equivalent.

With respect to performance, there isn't really any serious
performance hit at all for applications running in a local zone.
They interact directly with the kernel and disk, just like they
would if they were running in the global zone.

Darren