Hmm, I can reproduce this:

burr > mount | grep larder
/net/buxton/larder on buxton:/larder
remote/read/write/nosetuid/nodevices/xattr/dev=4800001 on Thu Mar  8 08:09:25
2007
/mnt on buxton:/larder remote/read/write/setuid/devices/xattr/dev=4800002 on
Thu Mar  8 08:12:58 2007

So I have one with nosetuid and one with setuid. It fails on both. If we look
on the server:

buxton > more /etc/dfs/dfstab
share -F nfs /opt @tools
share -F nfs -o anon=0 /larder
buxton > more /etc/dfs/sharetab
/larder -       nfs     rw
/opt    - at tools nfs     rw

A concern I had was that if "anon=0" was not set, permission would be denied no
matter what the setgid bit was currently.

And if I change the share to be:

buxton > sudo share -F nfs -o root=burr  /larder
buxton > more /etc/dfs/sharetab
/opt    - at tools nfs     rw
/larder -       nfs     sec=sys,root=burr

And now it works in the one with setuid enabled:
burr > sudo mkdir nfstest/sudo
burr >

So look at your share options on the server, it needs to allow root access.

The anon=0 failing is I think a known bug in the version of Nevada that I am
running (snv55 + changes). I'll check within the group.