> Hi,
>

> so far, discussing filesystem code via opensolaris
> means a certain
> "specialization", in the sense that we do have:
>
> zfs-discuss
> ufs-discuss
> fuse-discuss
>
> Likewise, there are ZFS, NFS and UFS communities
> (though I can't quite
> figure out if we have nfs-discuss ?).
>
> What's not there is a generic "FS thingies not in
> either of these". I.e. a
> forum with the purpose of talking filesystem code in
> general (how to port
> a *BSD filesystem, for example), or to contribute and
> discuss community
> filesystem patches or early-access code.
>
> Internally, we've been having a fs-interest mailing
> list for such a
> purpose for decades - why no generic "FS forum" on
> OpenSolaris.org ?
>
> There's more filesystems in the world than just ZFS,
> NFS and UFS. We do
> have the legacy stuff, but there's also SMB/CIFS,
> NTFS, Linux-things, etc.
> etc. etc.; I think these alone will never be
> high-volume enough to warrant
> communities or even discussion lists of their own,
> but combined there's
> surely enough to fill one mailing list ?
>
> Why _not_ have a
> "generic-fs-discuss at opensolaris.org", and a fs
> community
> that deals with anything that's not [NUZ]FS ?
>
> Thanks for some thoughts on this,
> FrankH.

Hi Frank,

I'm about to discuss/announce some changes that are coming within the next few
months into ONNV.  My understanding is that ufs-discuss is the right place to
talk about generic file system issues.

As I was scanning through old threads, I found this one.  Are there plans to
create a "file system code" list/community?  Is the ufs-discuss alias still the
right place at present to discuss VFS-level changes?

Thanks,

    Rich