On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 12:05:11AM -0800, Peter Eriksson wrote:

> xscreensaver goes catatonic sometimes when I have been away a whole weekend
> (so I only get a black windows and can't awaken the session - I have to ssh
> in to the server from another machine and kill the xscreensaver process.
> Workaround: kill xscreensaver and then run xlock manually...  Does this work
> better in OpenSolaris?

I've seen this on snv_64a a and sunrays as well. So what I did is:
pkgrm SUNWxscreensaver-hacks-gl

IIRC, since than nobody complained about the screen savers anymore ...

Not sure about the other issues, but I would guess it is NFS-related, too.
dmesg has probably more infos ...

Regards,
jel.
--
Otto-von-Guericke University     http://www.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/
Department of Computer Science   Geb. 29 R 027, Universitaetsplatz 2