Simon Gao wrote:
> Here is one issue I am running into when setting up a new NFS server to share
> several zfs file systems.
>
> I created following zfs file system from a zfs pool called bigpool. The
> bigpool is the top level file system and mounted as /export/bigpool.
>
> file system                   mount point
>
> bigpool                         /export/bigpool
> bigpool/zfs1                  /export/bigpool/zfs1
> bigpool/zfs2                  /export/bigpool/zfs2
>
> All directories under /export are owned by a group called users. Also group
> users have write access to them.
>
> Next,  I exported bigpool (zfs1 and zfs2 inherited from bigpool) as NFS share.
>
> zfs set sharenfs=on bigpool
>
> On a Linux client, I can mounte all shares directly without problem. If I
> mounted /export/bigpool to /mnt/nfs_share on the Linux client. The ownership
> and permissions
> on /mnt/nfs_share match to /export/bigpool on the nfs server.
>
> However, permissions on /mnt/nfs_share/zfs1 or /mnt/nfs_share/zfs2 are not
> inherited correctly. The group ownership is switched to root on
> /mnt/nfs_share/zfs1,zfs2 and write permission is removed. I expect
> /mnt/nfs_share/zfs1 should match /export/bigpool/zfs1, so does for zfs2. Why
> ownership and permissions do not get inherited?

Are you doing an ls or have you actually gone into the mount points?

If just the ls, then the client might be lying to you.

Are you using NFS v3 or NFS v4?

In either event, you could get packet traces corresponding to the events
to see what it is flowing
across the wire. I.e., you don't know enough right know to be blaming
the server, whether it is
for NFS or ZFS.