This was previously posed to the sun-managers mailing list but the only
reply I received recommended I post at zfs-discuss. The only reply I
received there recommended I post here. This is my last mailing list for
this issue I swear.

We have a production Solaris 10u5 / ZFS X4500 file server which is
reporting  NLM_DENIED_NOLOCKS immediately for any nfs locking request. The
lockd does not appear to be busy so is it possible we have hit some sort of
limit on the number of files that can be locked? Are there any items to
check before restarting lockd / statd. This appears to have at least
temporarily cleared up the issue.

Thanks,
Chris