Hi Karol,

----- "Karol Mroz" <km...@suse.de> wrote:

> Hi Ganesha developers,
>
> I've been playing with the RGW FSAL (ganesha-2.4.1) on a fairly
> recent
> Jewel-based (10.2.3-493-gb4c314a) Ceph cluster and wanted to share
> some
> observations.
>
> In a read-only scenario, the FSAL appears to function well!  Great
> work!
>
> However, I am experiencing some problems when attempting writes.  I am
> curious
> if anyone else is testing writes with the RGW FSAL and if the below
> are already
> known issues?  If not, I'd be happy to help debug further.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>

> 0. Bucket/Object creation via S3
>
> No issues on the S3 side, however my NFS mount will not see the new
> buckets
> or objects until ganesha is restarted.

For some scenarios, this is probably expected, without some ganesha-side limits
on caching, presently.

> 1. `echo` or `touch` a new file
>
> File creation via `echo` or `touch` (createmode=1, offset=0, length=N)
> has
> so far been successful in my test environment.
>

> 2. Append to an existing file using `echo`
>
> On an append via `echo`, the behaviour is not consistent.
>
>   i) offset=0, length=N
>       - A full overwrite via `echo` has shown to be successful.
>
>   ii) offset=M, length=(N - M)
>       - The librgw:rgw_write() code path ultimately rejects this write
> and
>       (-5) bubbles back up to ganesha.  This makes sense as RGW
> objects need
>       to be completely overwritten.

Right, that's the current expected behavior.

> In the case of (2ii), I've seen inconsistency between the S3 object
> and the
> NFS representation.  The file will have an updated size as if the
> append
> succeeded, however S3 shows that the object has not been modified.
> Trying to
> then read the file from NFS would generate I/O errors.  At this point,
> a restart
> of ganesha was needed.

Seems like a bug, sorry.

> Also, it isn't clear to me why nfs4_write() interprets one `echo`
> invocation as
> an overwrite, and another identical `echo` as an append?  Given the
> rgw_write()
> offset limitations, it seems file modification/appends are not yet
> well supported?

For the moment, what you should be doing is mounting with -osync (Linux) to get
consistent results.  Can you give that a try?

Regards,

Matt

--
Matt Benjamin