Hi Frank, others,

Frank Filz wrote on Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 03:19:46PM -0800:
> All in all, these functions are not a great fit for the FSAL API so I'm not
> sure it would be a good solution. Forcing some of the functions into FSAL
> methods would require some code duplication that loses some of the advantage
> of the mechanism. There would also be a question of how things like the file
> descriptors and fsal_filesystems are shared between the main FSAL_ VFS and
> the underlying stacked FSAL.

Actually we were thinking of making LUSTRE a stackable FSAL under VFS as
well, so when this was brought up on the phone I thought it was a good
idea, but now I'm reading this I have a more basic question-- is there
still any use for the XFS fsal?
Same question for PANFS, I guess, could we tell if anyone is still using
that? The last commit that was specific to panfs was a license change in
2015... There have been many likely untested changes (multi-fd,
mdcache...) since...

Historically XFS exposed handle functions through libhandle before the
kernel VFS did. Now it looks like both linux and freebsd have a variant
to natively handle that, so we only have one FSAL to build either way
with slightly different guts that can be abstracted as we currently do
transparently.
If it's too much effort to maintain XFS and PANFS and they aren't
used/tested anymore, my vote would be to just rip it out.

Re-LUSTRE, I hadn't given it much practical thought but I think stacking
will work for us. We'd be using pure VFS calls and only add a few hooks
around open mostly, the only trick will be to get the subfsal to give us
the opened fd somehow so we can do additional checks on it, but if we
enforce stacking like mdcache (e.g. lustre MUST be above VFS) then it
should be possible.

There is one point though, we'd ideally want mdcache>lustre>vfs, so we'd
have to do the stacking manually from C code and not let folks do
stacking in their config.

--
Dominique