> ‎https://www.nginx.com/blog/tuning-nginx/
>
> ‎I have far more faith in this write up regarding tuning than the anti-ddos,
> though both have similarities.
>
> My interpretation is the user bandwidth is connections times rate. But you
> can't limit the connection to one because (again my interpretation) there can
> be multiple users behind one IP. Think of a university reading your website.
> Thus I am more comfortable limiting bandwidth than I am limiting the number
> of connections. ‎The 512k rate limit is fine. I wouldn't go any higher.

If I understand correctly, limit_req only works if the same connection
is used for each request.  My goal with limit_conn and limit_conn_zone
would be to prevent someone from circumventing limit_req by opening a
new connection for each request.  Given that, why would my
limit_conn/limit_conn_zone config be any different from my
limit_req/limit_req_zone config?

- Grant