v1.4.6

I'm attempting to proxy pass requests to AWS API Gateway, but they are not
reaching the endpoint.  Example of my configuration below. Requests come
through as something like some.domain.com/some_resource

The final post_action hop at the bottom is attempting to pass the request
and its params as http://dev-data.app.com/api/v3/some_resource

I've confirmed my rewrite logic, though no domain shows up in the log.
Same with the additional access_log.  I'd love more debug information as to
what the final transformation is and the response it gets back. There are
NO error or info logs on my http://dev-data.app.com/api/v3/some_resource
 API.

But mainly interested in my use of the syntax and the expectation.  Any
tips as to what I am doing wrong?

server {
    listen 80 default_server;
    server_name some.domain.com;

    #...

location / {
proxy_ignore_client_abort on;
proxy_pass http://app-prod.herokuapp.com;
proxy_set_header X-Real-IP  $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $remote_addr;
proxy_set_header Host aq-prod.herokuapp.com;
post_action @stage;
}

location @stage {
proxy_pass http://stage.myapp.com;
post_action @app_log;
}

location @app_log {
proxy_pass http://app-log.herokuapp.com;
post_action @dev;
}

location @dev {
#rewrite_log on;
rewrite ^ /api/v3$request_uri$1 break;
proxy_pass http://dev-data.app.com;
#access_log /var/log/nginx/proxy-access.log;
}
}