On 2022-01-10 12:47 p.m., James Read wrote:

I've been doing some preliminary experiments with PACKET_MMAP style communication.

With apologies for "snipping", and disclaimer that I am not an nginx developer, only a long term user.

So, MMAP has given you "preliminary" analysis of what your kernel can do with your hardware. Would you care to share, in a meaningful manner, any results that you feel are relevant to any tcp processes - perhaps nginx in particular?

I'm able to max out the available bandwidth using this technique.

Available bandwidth? Please define. Is this local, or WAN? Are you on a 56k dial-up modem? or do you have multiple fail-over, load-balanced fibre connectivity? MMAP to the best of my knowledge, never claimed to be able to simulate live (live in the sense 'externally processed IP') tcp/http connections, so what "recognized benchmark" did you max out?

Could Nginx be improved in a similar way?

"improved"? From what and to what? Starting point? End-point? Similar to what "way"?

You write (below) "a large number of small pages to a large number of clients..." Large number? 10 to what exponential? I've just looked at an nginx server that has dealt with ~88.3 GB/sec over the last few minutes, and cpu usage across 32 cores is bumbling along at less that 3%, temperatures barely 3 degrees above ambient, memcached transferring nothing to swap.

Either you have badly explained what you are looking for, or, heaven forfend, you're trolling.

Paul.
Tired old sys-admin.

James Read

    Regards
    Alex

    <anoopalia...@gmail.com <mailto:anoopalia...@gmail.com>> wrote:

     >         This basically depends on your hardware and network speed etc
     >
     >         Nginx is event-driven and does not fork a
    separate process for handling new connections which basically makes
    it different from Apache httpd

     >     Just to be clear Nginx is entirely single threaded?
     >
     >     James Read
     >

     >         On Wed, Jan 5, 2022 at 5:48 AM James Read
    <jamesread5...@gmail.com <mailto:jamesread5...@gmail.com>> wrote:

     >             Hi,
     >
     >             I have some questions about Nginx performance. How
    many concurrent connections can Nginx handle? What throughput can
    Nginx achieve when serving a large number of small pages to a large
    number of clients (the maximum number supported)? How does Nginx
    achieve its performance? Is the epoll event loop all done in a
    single thread or are multiple threads used to split the work of
    serving so many different clients?

     >             thanks in advance
     >             James Read

  \\\||//