On Mon, Oct 9, 2023 at 11:55 AM Gentry Deng via nginx <nginx@nginx.org> wrote:

> I'm able to reproduce the problem. It looks like a bug in www.paypal.cn's
> server. They didn't implement TLS 1.2 correctly. Specifically, they do not
> correctly handle when the ClientHello comes in in two reads. Before Kyber,
> this wasn't very common because ClientHellos usually fit in a packet. But
> Kyber makes ClientHellos larger, so it is possible to get only a partial
> ClientHello in the first read, and require a second read to try again. This
> is something that any TCP-based application needs to handle; you may not have
> gotten the whole message on a given read and need to keep on reading.
>
> www.paypal.cn will need to fix their server to correctly handle this case.

It sounds like this, assuming they are using a F5:
<https://my.f5.com/manage/s/article/K72042050>.

Broken middleware is always interesting. One of my favorites was
Ironport and its fixed sized buffer for a ClientHello that resulted in
buffer overflows and crashes when TLS 1.1 and TLS 1.2 increased the
size of a ClientHello due to additional cipher suites. See
<https://www.mail-archive.com/openssl-users@openssl.org/msg73489.html>.

Jeff