We came across an encoding problem while trying to use
a file created on system using Latin1 encoding while
our system (RedHat Linux) uses UTF-8 encoding.

In details:

When we tried using this latin1 encoded file as an
input (or rather when our system (utf8) tried to read
this file(latin1)) we would get "Malformed UTF-8 .."
errors.

As we understand, this issue has 2 solutions:

1. Make the file compatible with your system's
encoding by translating it from its original encoding
to your system's encoding.
One can do that with the help of iconv command:
"iconv -f latin1 -t utf8 -o outfile infile"

2. Use binmode(). The second solution is to inform the
system about the encoding to be used while reading
from this file. This can be done by adding the
following statement:
binmode(FH,":encoding(latin1)")
after the filehandle (FH) is opened and before the
filehandle (FH) is actually used to read from.

Thanks,
Anagha

PS: An interesting and very informative chain of mails
regarding this issue:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.perl.misc/browse_thread/thread/4e1800f6eac52650/86cf1b6ba0841e1f%2386cf1b6ba0841e1f?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=3
(sorry for the links length!)

http://mail.yahoo.com