Thanks, everyone, for the responses!  It was, as a couple of people
have suggested, a customized getter-setter in the Contact class.  The
State property looked like the following:

        public virtual string State
        {
            get
            {
                return m_strState != null ? m_strState.Trim() :
null;
            }
            set
            {
                m_strState = value != null ? value.Trim() :
null;
            }
        }

Once that property was changed to simply expose the m_strState
variable, no update occurred upon materialization of the list of
Contacts. Thanks for the help!  It's wonderful to see such a
responsive community around a tool like this!  Eat your heart out,
StackOverflow!  ;-)

-Brian