Thank you for that, Dennis. When I got my Hawk I got my new battery at the 
"Stealership." Maybe that's why I have had zero problems with my charging 
system. I didn't know enough about batteries (or some other parts like my air 
and oil filter) so I ordered them from the guys that knew more than me. 
    It is certainly worth not being stuck at the side of the road.
    Hey Paul....can you save Dennis' e-mail on the Nighthawk site? Thsi one is 
very important and I may want to access it again in the future...
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Dennis Hammerl 
  To: [email protected] 
  Sent: Saturday, October 11, 2008 12:49 PM
  Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Charging issue?


        OK, here goes. One time only for all to see what Honda has to say about 
all of this. (remember I'm one of those evil stealership people you all love to 
hate)
        The charging system is engineered around a certain set of parameters. 
The regulator/rectifier is set to decrease output when a predetermined battery 
voltage is reached. 
        In the case of brand X batterys, this may never happen so the charging 
system will continue to run at high output. Over a long ride it WILL boil out 
the electrolete. Taken over a long time the whole system may fail due to 
running at such a high level. The OEM battery is a Japanese made Yuasa with a 
wing logo on it. This signifies the battery excedes the criteria agreed upon by 
Honda. A battery without the logo is good but not as. The standard is VERY high 
for those. The Yuasa batteries made here in the USA by Deca are not as good as 
the Japanese editions. Still better than any other. Now how this applies to 
anybody is seen in cases such as yours. The aftermarket battery may never 
achieve the the voltage level needed. Please do not plague me with the argument 
that all batteries are alike...BS. The preperation of a battery is crucial to 
this whole system. A battery must be filled and left to sit for at least a half 
hour and then charged for 45 minutes at 1/10 it's rated capacity before being 
put into service. Failure to do this results in a battery with only 80% of it's 
rated capacity and the inabilty to make the charging system perform at optimum. 
The battery is an essential component of the charging system and serves to 
complement the regulator. 
        In short, yours does not. You cannot ever improve upon a battery that 
has been improperly prepared and put into service. Once the damage is done, 
it's done. 
        Our facility does not sell any other brands of batteries. Just ain't 
fair, is it ? You have the responsibilty of your own bike, I have (effectively) 
the responsibilty of the several thousand that pass through our shop each year. 
Our reputation for customer satisfaction dictates that we use only the highest 
quality replacement parts... OEM.  

        --- On Sat, 10/11/08, wayne crull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

          From: wayne crull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
          Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Re: Charging issue?
          To: [email protected]
          Date: Saturday, October 11, 2008, 12:59 PM


          I think it is a champion, new this year.


          On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Dennis Hammerl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:

                  Since I am roundly criticized about my electrical diagnosis, 
I'll limit my reply to one question; what brand of battery is that ? 

                  --- On Thu, 10/9/08, wayne crull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

                    From: wayne crull <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                    Subject: [Nighthawk Lovers] Charging issue?
                    To: [email protected]
                    Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008, 8:02 PM



                    Hi all!

                    I am having an issue, occasionally, with my 83 650.  Two 
weeks ago I went on a long ride, 3 hours, with no problems.  That was a 
Saturday, on Monday I went out to ride to work and heard only a grunt from the 
starter.  The battery was low on water.  Filled with distilled and plugged in 
my charger and drove the car to work.  After work started right up and has each 
time (5) I have gotten on it since then.  So any ideas what it could be?  

                    Thank you for your help and advice in advance.

                    Wayne
                    83 CB650SC



                 








          
       

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Nighthawk Motorcycle Lovers!" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/nighthawk_lovers?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to