It's nice that gasoline prices have dropped but I went into a Shucks Auto
yesterday and put two 12 quart cases of oil up on the counter (one 30wt and
one 40wt ) and was told that it was going to be $98 for the pair!   I was
stunned.

Each case held 12 quarts so for my $98 (pretax) I was getting 24 qts at
$4.08/qt or $16.33/gallon!!!

I carried the two cases back over and replaced them and then asked the clerk
what was the cheaperst oil I could get out the door with and I end up buying
two 5 qt containers for $12.99 each which works out to $2.60/qt or
$10.39/gal.

So, my question is this:  Now that gasoline prices have come back down to
under $2/gal., what's with motor oil prices still being up over $10/gal?

My uncharitable thought is that places like Shucks were quick to raise their
oil prices last summer when oil prices peaked.   But, they've been damn slow
to lower them back down again.

And, isn't motor oil like 30wt & 40wt easier to produce than, say, gasoline?
If that's true, you'd think it would be cheaper than gasoline.

Dennis Gallagher
'85 & '86 CB700SC
Seattle